Treasure dive yields I Phone a trolling motor and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last week I went on another treasure dive in Lake Superior in my home town of Marquette MI. It never ceases to amaze me what I might find. This time it was a trolling motor, an I Phone, some old bottles and of course, plenty of trash. I was using my Sea Doo in this dive and it really helped when I had to haul it all back in. Thanks for watching!

I suspect I am your biggest California fan.... I watched your video once before my cup of hot chocolate and now the second time after sipping very hot chocolate.

Great well produced video !
I was fascinated with the blue bottle at about 6:15- Have you done further research on it ? There is a sub culture on vintage bottles . People collect them, trade them and certainly treasure them.

Around 50 years ago I participated in the very first Catalina underwater clean up organized by Lil Lancaster. Active divers from all over SoCal took advantage of the free boat trip and the opportunity to dive in boat traffic free Avalon harbor. The items we salvaged were modern to very antique, so many sun glasses and small tools and so many bottles. from those just lost over board to antique bottles dating back to the civil war when Avalon was a US out post.

All items old and new were placed in burlap bags and on the way home at mid channel tossed over board.

So much "bottle history" was lost that day- so much of the Avalon history was lost.

I would suggest to you that any and all unfamialr bottles and jars be reviewed for historical significance before tossing as scrap. My friend you never know.... As Forrest Gump stated "like a box of chocolates ….."

I will eagerly look forward to your new and exciting future videos

Cheers from CenCal -- where recreational diving began

Sam Miller, III
CC
@drbill
@Ken Kurtis

As an avid metal detectorist, I love these types of videos.

The main reason why I got certified, was so that I can check out a few places of my local history that I know very few people have been to.

The bottle is a keeper for sure!

The trolling motor is a bonus, and could see you get a few bucks if you can't locate the owner.

All items old and new were placed in burlap bags and on the way home at mid channel tossed over board.

WHY were they tossed overboard??? Didn't anyone think some of it might be of historical interest? And why not permanently remove from the water? Couldn't have been that hard to drag it to a dumpster.

[QUOTE="Kharon, post: 8422943, member: 409808"

]WHY were they tossed overboard??? Didn't anyone think some of it might be of historical interest? And why not permanently remove from the water? Couldn't have been that hard to drag it to a dumpster.
[/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avalon is the harbor at Catalina island -- 26 miles from the mainland of California. They were and are ill equipped to handle the excessive trash. Therefor mid channel and a toss over board

50 or more years ago -- A different time in history

SDM

I once found a nice set of golf clubs that were scattered over such a wide area that it was obvious somebody stood on the bridge and threw them one at a time...

I suspect I am your biggest California fan.... I watched your video once before my cup of hot chocolate and now the second time after sipping very hot chocolate.

Great well produced video !
I was fascinated with the blue bottle at about 6:15- Have you done further research on it ? There is a sub culture on vintage bottles . People collect them, trade them and certainly treasure them.

Around 50 years ago I participated in the very first Catalina underwater clean up organized by Lil Lancaster. Active divers from all over SoCal took advantage of the free boat trip and the opportunity to dive in boat traffic free Avalon harbor. The items we salvaged were modern to very antique, so many sun glasses and small tools and so many bottles. from those just lost over board to antique bottles dating back to the civil war when Avalon was a US out post.

So much "bottle history" was lost that day- so much of the Avalon history was lost.

I would suggest to you that any and all unfamialr bottles and jars be reviewed for historical significance before tossing as scrap. My friend you never know.... As Forrest Gump stated "like a box of chocolates ….."

I will eagerly look forward to your new and exciting future videos

Cheers from CenCal -- where recreational diving began

Sam Miller, III
CC
@drbill
@Ken Kurtis[/QUOTE

Thanks for watching, Sam. I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to watch a second time. I really never know how much to edit out and sometimes worry that I leave too much in and will bore folks. Good to hear some enjoy it fully.

The bottle will stay in my small but growing collection. I usually only keep local dairy, beer or juice bottles, but I like the color and overall condition of this one. Many unique bottles lay hidden beneath our flippers. I have many dives along these docks but every now and then the silt gives up a previously hidden treasure.

Sorry to hear about the nice collection of bottles carelessly tossed overboard those years ago. But as you said, they were different times and most don't realize what it may mean to future generations.

I found another cool old bottle made here in Marquette by a company that has been gone for many years. Its chipped at the base but is still very neat to behold. The flaws in the glass, bubbles, uneven interior walls, speak to its age. I may just post a picture of it here.

More to follow and thanks again for watching.

Don

As an avid metal detectorist, I love these types of videos.

The main reason why I got certified, was so that I can check out a few places of my local history that I know very few people have been to.

The bottle is a keeper for sure!

The trolling motor is a bonus, and could see you get a few bucks if you can't locate the owner.

I would like to use my metal detector more while diving, but I need more practice learning the tones and so forth.

Thanks for your input and I'm glad you enjoyed my video. The maritime history here is captivating. The first travelers and inhabitants could have only come by the lakes. So much information is right there beneath the waves and I hope to find much of it.

DD

Don
Once again I will suggest that over the snow bound winter months you create a 1/2 hour or 45 minute power point presentation about the underwater world that you have photographed. Let the word out to the local service and civic organizations as well as the fishing and boating clubs. They generally all are searching for programs of interest .especially local activities

So many of the service clubs have yearly fund raising events which creates a surplus of money which they distribute to local charities and activates -- such as yours

I strongly urge you to investigate creating a power point presentation and begin lecturing

When lecturing to the service clubs -- Rotary , Kiwanis etc don't be bashful let it be known you need better and additional equipment in order to continues your exploration.

If you have difficulties presenting in front of a group -- many do- enroll in a speech class at a local community college - one class of 18 weeks will do wonders

Good luck,
Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom