Tray vs mono pole pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you use the light mount as a stabilizing handle you can improve the stability of your filming significantly.

[video=youtube;IFzR0eAx0Y0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzR0eAx0Y0[/video]

I'd thing such a configuration would have a great tendency to rotate clockwise, with the relatively heavy light twisting the whole thing in your hand.

Plus, if you use the light mount as a "stabilizing handle" you've lost the benefit of the pole.

Actually, an Ikelite Gamma light with diffuser and the Tubing Mount for the Gamma works very well on a pole. The Mount is $45 and is very lightweight.

1887.4-gamma-tubing-kit-b.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Reactions: RJP
Actually, an Ikelite Gamma light with diffuser and the Tubing Mount for the Gamma works very well on a pole. The Mount is $45 and is very lightweight.

View attachment 203297View attachment 203298

If Z-Gear wants me to test one out during my Truk trip and report back I'd be happy to give it a try.

:d, but not kidding.

You mean like comparing it to a two light tray setup and then calling it less bulky?

Or, claiming that it is less expensive, when simple trays go for as little as $10.

Please show me a tray with a light mount for $10.

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2015 at 11:02 AM ----------

I have a pole and am considering a tray because I want lights. This pole mounted option is interesting. The key word is "option".

I see the arguments about stability and I have a question. Take a GoPro on a pole, now swivel the camera 90 degress and hold the pole perpendicular in front of you, one hand on the pole by the camera and one hand on the pole by the handle. Don't you now have a "tray"? Doing this, wouldn't a pole mounted light in the center now be stable? Yet you'd still have the option mid-dive to swivel it back and extend the pole if you needed closeup over stability for a given shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom