Tray / Arm recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK - I think I've finally decided on my new strobe and am getting ready to pull the trigger (so to speak). I'm planning on the Inon Z240 type III, but before I order I want to figure out a nice (but not too expensive, the strobe is costing me enough as it is) way to attach the strobe to my Oly PT-020 housing. I'm planning on using an optical cable (recommendations for online sources would be appreciated too.).

In summary, here's what I'm looking for:

• Optical cable for Inon Z240
  • Tray for Oly PT-020 housing
  • Arms to mate above tray and strobe

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Daz

I can't bring myself to pay $$$ for some stupid tray and arms so I'm going to attempt to make one this weekend with loc-line parts and an aluminum ruler. Will post results once I'm done.

I bought a cheap bonica handle and tray set from B&H Photo. Its plastic, lightweight, dual handles with a ball on top for around $75. You can then buy a couple of arm segments from either TLC or UCLS. The 10Bar Sea&Sea adapter works for the Inon Strobe and my Inon guy just sent me one with the strobe I purchased. Used Sea&Sea style arms are out there on ebay and are cheap. Just some options. My first opinion of the Bonica was cheap but I've had it for almost 2 years and a 100 dives or so. No issues yet. I did use loctite on the ball adapters to keep them from coming off when adjust the arm but no other issue with the tray set. Very light, dual handles to secure the camera underwater, ergo grips.

Just a bit of advice from a guy who started with a DIY rig. Strobe mobility is really important and it has to be fairly quick and painless...otherwise you're going to be frustrated. Cheers.

Bonica | Additional Handle for Strobe | NEONHAN | B&H Photo Video

I would only buy the tray and handles. If you have the cash, pay for the aquatica ball adapters that fit the handles.

OK - I've got things narrowed down some more - I'm just trying to decide now between vendors and Fantasea vs. ULCS arms and clamps.

Basically I can do a package deal with the Z240 strobe/cable and ULCS tray/handle/arms domestically for about $150 more than buying the strobe from Hong Kong, and an Inon cable, Aquatica tray/handle, and Fantasea arms from New York (after figuring in all of the shipping costs). Are there any warranty issues to consider if buying from an out-of-country vendor?

Bottom line: Is it worth $150 more to buy from a US vendor (Reef) with the ULCS tray/handle/arms over Hong Kong/New York vendors and Aquatica/Fantasea parts?

Thanks all,

Daz

My prices on arms, clamps and trays are about the same as you'll find in Hong Kong. I have an Inon sync cord & Inon strobe adapter on the site as well. The arms and tray I sell are not Fantasea parts, I directly import them, and pass on the savings.

OOTRAY1.sm.jpg

All items in the packages are available a la carte, or longer & extra arms and clamps available, its pretty modular.

Jack

I purchased my Z240 from overseas. It was my understanding that Inon America, will not honor the warranty since it was not purchased from an authorized dealer. In my case, I believe I saved almost $200, and I felt it was worth the risk.

If I'm wrong about the warranty, someone please correct me. It would be cool knowing that I have it if I ever needed it.

I have the exact Tray and Arm setup that Jack posted above and for the price I don't think it can be beat. Unfortunately at the time, I didn't know about Jacks site and ordered mine from Hong Kong.

My prices on arms, clamps and trays are about the same as you'll find in Hong Kong. I have an Inon sync cord & Inon strobe adapter on the site as well. The arms and tray I sell are not Fantasea parts, I directly import them, and pass on the savings.

OOTRAY1.sm.jpg

All items in the packages are available a la carte, or longer & extra arms and clamps available, its pretty modular.

Jack
Jack - I did look at your site and your prices are nice - generally lower than the HK guys for your tray and arm package vs. their Aquatica/Fantasea setups. However, I'm still wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and buy the package from Reef and have a US based warranty on the strobe even though it will end up costing $150 or so more for the whole thing than if I had bought the strobe from HK and the tray/cable/arms from you or one of the big NY places. Thanks for the options.

I keep coming back to the question of how much is a US warranty on the strobe worth (as well as having an Inon FO cable setup just for my housing and strobe) and having an all ULSC tray/handle/arms/clamps setup?

Daz

I have a homemade tray setup which you view here. It may give you some ideas.

I strongly suggest you buy/make a tray with two hand grips. Having only one on the left side will require you to hold the setup in your left hand while operating the shutter/zoom with your right hand thereby leaving no hands free for any buoyancy challenges.
Having a properly positioned right grip will allow you to both operate and hold the camera with only your right hand leaving your left hand free for any buoyancy challenging conditions.

Back
Top Bottom