Question Tray and Arm Suggestions for Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CF L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently lost a Sola dive light mounted on my Canon WP-DC51 housing cold shoe during a dive when the cold shoe ball mount must have gradually become loose and fallen off.

I am looking for a more secure way of mounting a photo light, which looks like it will be a tray and arm. I will also have to get another photo light to replace the lost Sola 2500 S/F 😢, but hopefully I can claim the cost back from insurance.

I like the look of the Sealife Sea Dragon 3000SF Pro Dual Beam that comes with a single tray and arm as it seems quite compact, and I think the 1/4-20 mounting screw should fit the Canon housing tripod mount.

I would appreciate other suggestions for a tray, arm and light setup, thanks.

I am a big fan of the Nauticam flex tray system. You have multiple ways to attach stuff, but cold shoes should be fine as well (there is always a focus light on the cold shoe of my OM-1 housing.
Bill

I am a big fan of the Nauticam flex tray system. You have multiple ways to attach stuff, but cold shoes should be fine as well (there is always a focus light on the cold shoe of my OM-1 housing.
Bill

I'm not sure how the cold shoe ball mount fell off my housing during a dive, I used the same setup last year for a whole dive trip without issue, maybe I should have been tightening the screw of the ball mount before each dive.

I'm not sure how the cold shoe ball mount fell off my housing during a dive, I used the same setup last year for a whole dive trip without issue, maybe I should have been tightening the screw of the ball mount before each dive.
When this happened to me (happily, without the actual loss of light), I learned that there are cold shoe mounts which have tabs that drop into the oval hole, or extend off the back, of cold shoes, and those that don’t. Olympus and Nauticam both market cold shoe andapters—Olympus’s is much cheaper and works just fine. Mounts with either 1” balls or YS fittings are available, and the tab keeps the adapter from coming out even if it loosens up.

When this happened to me (happily, without the actual loss of light), I learned that there are cold shoe mounts which have tabs that drop into the oval hole, or extend off the back, of cold shoes, and those that don’t. Olympus and Nauticam both market cold shoe andapters—Olympus’s is much cheaper and works just fine. Mounts with either 1” balls or YS fittings are available, and the tab keeps the adapter from coming out even if it loosens up.
Actually last year when I dived with the photo light mounted on the cold shoe without any issue it was with a Nauticam cold shoe ball mount that the Lembeh Resort photo centre loan me. The cold shoe ball mount that has fallen off is off a different brand I bought.

I didn't know there are different designs of cold shoe mounts. Thanks for pointing this out, I shall have to look into it.

1727971878564.png
1727971945081.png

I see the difference in the design between the Nauticam ball mount and the one that fell off.

Check out ULCS's stuff. I've used their arms, clamps, and mounts for years and never had a problem. Not sure on your specific application, but I know they make a wide range of mounts for different threads/housings/etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom