Travis Visibility??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cousin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well this isn't exactly about the visibility, but it is involved with it. In one of the other threads I read that Travis is currently in the process of turning over, and the visibility is very limited.

Here is where I am going with this. As, some people know I just moved here from Southwest Missouri and in that area the lakes would turn twice late fall and early spring. With the weather tempartures going to both extremes up that way. Here is my question, do lakes down here turn over twice a year, and if so which one of the turns is Travis currently in the process of doing?

Thanks

Yes, our lakes turn twice a year. Usually in the fall and spring. I don't know about Travis but our Twin Lakes here close to Houston finished turning over in December. Going by the past, it should turn again around the first part of April.

There is two ways we know when the lake is turning. One is the visibility goes to hell for no reason. There's amounts of large particles in the water rather than the silty stuff we're used to. The other is the temperatures seem reversed. For instance it gets warmer the deeper you get.

Yes, Lake Travis has turned over. The water temp is 56 degrees at the surface, quickly dropping to 55 on descent. At 70 feet the temp drops to 54 degrees. Vis is 2-3 feet depending on where you are.

It's very common to confuse seasonal events in lake systems. Turnover refers to a substantial mixing of water within the vertical water column, and is tightly regulated by air temperature.
The general rule is, twin turnovers ONLY occur in lakes that completely ice over. You get one mixing event at ice breakup, and the other just prior to icing over.
Few Texas lakes freeze over, so they have a single turnover period, which we call "early winter." Air temperatures drop, cooling the surface water enough to make them sink. This disrupts the summer stratification regime and poof! you get vertical mixing. On the simplistic level, the waters stay all mixed up until the air temperatures heat up again in late spring. Warm water is much harder to mix than cool water, and density-defined layering sets in.

Now bloom events are very commonly mistaken for turnover events, and can be just as equally responsible for occluding the water. Seasonal Texas blooms you CAN get twice a year, one in late spring and the other in the fall. The "Spring Bloom" is almost always bigger, and is created by the combination of winter-introduced nutrients (via turnover) and increased light and warm temperatures from the spring. Diving in late springtime is thus inherently bad just about everywhere 'cept the tropics. The autumn bloom is caused by increasing mixing of nutrients brought about by cooler temperatures... or the humble beginnings of your true turnover. This bloom will persist until you get ice cover, or in Texas it doesn't really ever stop... it's more of a slow agonizing thing that drags on all through winter until the sunlight-induced bloom in late spring. That's why it's hard to get clear vis in Texas lakes during the winter, you have to find one that's "pooped out of nutrients."

And don't forget wind. Wind is stronger in the winter, and maintains mixing events. Shallow lakes and estuaries tend to be permanently mixed due entirely to wind.
Don't forget rainfall either. This does all sorts of complicated things to your lake (which I really do NOT want to explain), with the end result of it being cloudy. Rainfall in Texas is seasonal.
Sediment type, groundwater exports, and human activity also influence both blooms and water turbidity. And oh great, some of these tend to be seasonal too!

So when it all boils down, unless you're a limnologist with nothing better to do except nitpick a particular lake, wait for clearer waters in Texas lakes to show up in mid summer (june/july), and persist through to early fall (mid-October). These dates are for central Texas.

Bleah, nutrient dynamics makes my head hurt.

there's no chance I'll will be waiting until june/july to dive Travis. I might make it to Friday, tho...:D

archman:
Bleah, nutrient dynamics makes my head hurt.

LOL, I bet!

Which campus you at, CS or...Corpus?

Keep up the good work; It'll be great to get Dr. in front of the name, huh?

By the way, I have this problem with hydrilla in my stock pond that karmex is having trouble....

J/K, keep after it. You'll go into shock once you realize all of that schooling is over. :bounce:

sealskin98:
Which campus you at, CS or...Corpus?

There's only one aggieland in the lone star state!

...although I was in fact also at TAMU-Corpus, and TAMU-Galveston before that. I just can't get away from aggies! I'm not even from Texas!!

Archman is going to be away from the board for awhile, Cousin. He's recuperating.

I found him passed out in Bottlecap Alley clutching a copy of one of Sylvia Earle's books. Poor guy almost studied himself to death.

Either that, or he made a wrong turn when he stepped outta The Chicken! :D

I'd have to say I'm a Dudley's Draw man myself. The Chicken is where all the undergraduates hang out.

And although I have met and talked with Sylvia Earle, I do not possess yet one of her books. I do however share her interest with Caribbean macroalgae. It's so pretty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom