Travis 3/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a couple of dives at Windy Point yesterday. For anyone interested, here's the latest conditions as I seen 'em.
Dove at Barstow's, hardly anyone there! It was a very windy with pretty good chop on the water. At least the wind was blowing from the south east, so we were somewhat protected. Surface temp was about 58 deg. Dove down along the chain from the north platform to 105'. There is a definate thermocline at 50'. Water temp drops to 55 deg and vis goes to 2-3 ft. Above the thermocline however, the vis is really pretty good, average 10-12 with some very clear (for Travis) pockets of 15 or better (my dive buddy thought vis was a good 20') around the 40' area. Lots of fish showing up again, including 4 nice size catfish about 3 ft long hanging around the platform. And it only gets better from here! OK at least warmer.:bubble_fi

PvilleStang:
So is the viz constant 2-3 down to 105? How were the trees treatin' ya?

From the thermocline at 50 ft on down the vis is makedly poor. At 100+ especialy so, since there is so little light penetration due to all the sediment overhead.

Trees are trees are trees. I didn't talk to them and they said nothing back. I think one fell over, but since I couldn't see it, did it fall?

Did it make a sound? Well, I guess at least they didn't try to pick a fight... Well, I guess I have a lot to look forward to...

Thanks for the report...sounding good.

Thanks for the thorough report Shaggie. I am in town for a few days and had planned on getting in some Travis diving on at least one of those days. Doesnt look like the weather is going to cooperate, but I am still hoping.

Willie

I was at Mansfield Park on Saturday. From the barge we could see the stern of the shallow sailboat up to the cabin. Vis drops drastically from 60 to 70 feet. A couple of feet of vis from that point on down. Water temp was 59-55 degrees.

carlislere:
I was at Mansfield Park on Saturday. From the barge we could see the stern of the shallow sailboat up to the cabin. Vis drops drastically from 60 to 70 feet. A couple of feet of vis from that point on down. Water temp was 59-55 degrees.

Good to know I'm not the only one thinking I had good vis in the shallows. I'll bet it was a great day to dive saturday! The wind on sunday kind of kept up us a little on the cool side during our surface interval.

Back
Top Bottom