Travelling with rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm land locked in Austin, Tx. and would like to know how folks travel with their rebreater and / or where to go where they are rebreather friendly.

Thanks

I breakdown my draeger dolphin into a pelican 1620 case with all tools and accessories. Everything fits very comfortably, and because its has wheels it is easy to manage in airports. I like the case also because of its size(deeper rather than longer) and the degree of protection(rigid case).

One key thing that lightens my load, an oxycheq din to drager adapter. At my destination I rent a tank with a DIN valve usually something in the 40-60 cuft range. One less bulky item I don't have to deal with. I also buy absorbent at my destination, costs more I don't have to deal with the hassle of the weight or explaining what it is to the airport authorities. With the baggage restirctions that have currently been put in the place doing this probably ends up saving you money.

As far as destinations that are rebreather friendly, I've taken mine all over southern FL and the keys without problem. Grand Cayman was also very rebreather friendly, support for most rebreather models on the island. I stayed at Cobalt Coast/Dive Tech and liked it. I've heard of a place in Belize called Protech? thats was supposedly good for RB's but I'm getting that second hand. Check Advanced Diver magazine or IANTD's magazine, usually have advertisers listing whether they support RB's.

poseidan:
I've heard of a place in Belize called Protech? thats was supposedly good for RB's but I'm getting that second hand. Check Advanced Diver magazine or IANTD's magazine, usually have advertisers listing whether they support RB's.
Both a good sources, IANTD also has a website that has searchable databases for both instructors and facilities. One of those is indeed Protech Belize, Roni Liebermann's dive base. He supports and trains both SCR and CCR.
Two other good destinations are in Mexico, Protech Training Center in Playa Del Carmen (Yukatan) and the Cortez Club in La Paz (Sea of Cortez), both again supporting SCR and CCR.

Southern California with the Channel islands, kelp forrests and Wreck Alley in San Diego has plenty of stores supporting SCRs and several that support CCRs. :wink:

For local dives in Texas, send BigJetDriver69 (also an IANTD instructor) a PM, he might be able to help as he dives a CCR out of Houston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom