Travelling from Chicago in the Fall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My husband and I are in the early planning stages for a fall divng trip. We would fly out of Chicago (O'Hare). Could someone please give us a brief rundown on places that are easier/quicker/ cheaper to get to from Chicago. Or places that are expensive and travel nightmares.

Due to the time of year, we are thinking of Bonaire or Roatan to get out of the hurricane belt. Will we have a full day of travel each way to get to these places?

Any info anyone could share would be appreciated, for this trip and just for our future reference. Future could include USVI, Cayman, T&C, Cozumel.

Including specific airlines, pro or con, would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Julie

:tree:

You could go to Aruba on ATA out of Midway (Chicago) It's a non stop flight & very easy to get to Bonaire from Aruba. ( 2 destinations - 1 trip) Aruba should be out of hurricane paths. ATA is a pretty good carrier but some of their ticket & gate agents can be a little cranky. (Hows that f/ politically correct :wink: )
ATA at MDW also goes to Grand Cayman. Both on Saturdays.

Kat-

Where did you stay in Aruba? That might be a good choice.

Julie

I always do alot of research before I book a hotel. I like to stay in small, low rise hotels that are on the beach.
My boyfriend & I spent a week in Aruba at the Tamarijn Beach Resort. We stayed on the ground floor and we were 20 yards from the beach. I loved it there. It's all-inclusive. The buffet was average, the fancy restaurant was pretty good. It is an older property, part of the Divi Resort Chain. You can get exchange privledges, f/ a price (we didn't) The pool is nothing special, just a rectangle. There are alot of fancier places in Aruba.
With better everything, I'm sure. But I wanted 'on the beach'. If I went to Aruba again, I'd stay at exactly the same place.
I'd also dive w/ Native Diver again. Very, very small operation. We were the only 2 divers all week, w/ Romeo. He was a blast!

Thats sounds like a place we'd enjoy. We are not really into fancy. Laid back is definitely our style.

Thanks again,

Julie

Back
Top Bottom