Traveling with Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sordello

Reaction score
Washington State... for a short time I think!
# of dives
200 - 499
Here I am with a 25 year old set of Scubapro Jets - The only dive fins I've used since purchasing them. I've used them since 1981!!! I am going on an expedition and they require that you bring amongst other things - fins. While I have some time to plan it is a bit disconcerting how heavy and big these fins are. They use a lot of square inches in the luggage and weigh nearly 6.5 pounds.
Are there any better choices these days or should I just buy fins at the destination? Or, should I just carry the extra weight and use what I'm comforatable with?

I really dont think they are any bigger than regular fins these days. Nothing you can do about the weight. I say bite the bullet and bring them along. If they are the only fins youve used since 1981, you wont be happy with any other pair. You might spend your whole trip getting used to the new pair.

I use size large and they are much smaller than normal fins out there. They are about 2.5 inches shorter than XL.

all I can say is be glad you dont have to travel with the XXL Jets ... I feel like I need an extra suitcase just for my fins :wink:

That said ... I do take them with me when travelling - they are worth every oz. of weight :D

Hey,

If you have the time, how much does it cost to mail the fins to your destination?

As big as they are AKONA makes a great roller bag with the pockets on the side, the the XL Jets fit right into.. I was amazed that they fit, but they fit a perfect as could be...

On the XX's, not quite sure if they would even fit in a Mack truck....:D Mabye UPS is an option, I hear they have big planes...

Edited because I cant spell...

fwiw I use a Titan from Scubal.com - they do fit in the "fin pocket" but I have to alternate them and tuck the spring straps inside the foot pockets, then if I force them in the zipper will just barely close.

Back
Top Bottom