Traveling alone to Palau and Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alyeska123

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be traveling alone to Palau and Yap for the month of November and am interested in hearing from others who have traveled alone there. I prefer simple rustic accomodations...any recommendations? Has anyone camped in the Rock Islands? If so, which would you recommend and why? Outside of using common sense, would I have to be overly concerned about my belongings if I camped? Has anyone stayed at the Bechiyal Cultural Center or participated in a homestay in Yap? In addition to diving, will there be a variety of other things topside? Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Welcome to Scubaboard! Great Twain quote. I don't go to Palau for a year but I think Sams Tours sets up camping excursions.

Hallo Alyeska! I travelled alone to Palau and Yap, but it was some years ago and my information would no doubt be outdated. I also stayed at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel and on the Sundancer II, so the accommodation wasn't exactly rustic! It was tremendous fun, however, and the Yapese in particular were wonderful when I was wandering the Island paths and spoke to them. At one point I took a wrong turn (the paths go all over the islands), and lost my bearings, but the locals went out of their way to point me in the right direction. I did take the time to read up on the travel guides before getting there in order not to outrageously flaut local customs, but they were very gracious hosts. Staying with them sounds like great fun - I'd be interested in hearing what you find out about homestays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom