Travel To Placencia With Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lttleldydver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm curious, do most folks bring their own gear or rent? How do you handle the weight restrictions on the flight from Belize City? Thanks!

I always bring my own gear every year to Placencia and have never had a problem with either Maya or Tropic Air's weight restrictions. I know they publish restrictions on their websites, but no one seems to care or follow them.

In fact, a few years ago I brought my own (soft) weights, too, which made for a really heavy carry-on bag. Not an issue flying the major airlines of course, but both Maya and Tropic make you check your carry-on roller bag along with your big bag. I was a little nervous when I handed over the carry-on, but when the airline employee (I think it was Tropic) grabbed it, he just said something like, "Wow, that's a heavy bag!" and put it on the conveyor belt. Splash Dive Center keeps those weights for me so it hasn't come up since.

Bottom line: don't worry about it. Not an issue.

When are you going? I'll be diving with Splash June 7th through the 23rd.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the size or weight of your bags, Tropic and Maya will take it all. The only problem I ever have is my bags getting banged up, etc. from being shoved into those little planes.

When I travel to Belize, I almost always have two large bags and my carry on. Haven't had a problem yet and even Customs haven't bothered me for a number of years.

I suppose Tropic and Maya could have changed their practices in the past year, so I'm not making any promises but really, you shouldn't have any problems taking your own gear along with you. I don't recommend you taking your own weights though. :wink:

Have your nurse read what I typed and explain it to you. You didnt get it.

no attitude, your post was ...off...so I just tried to help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom