travel to Arruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'll bring the 7mil suit with. What's one more thing to pack, in the big scheme of things. I try to be a light packer. As my dive equipment increases, the amount of clothing & misc. has been decreasing in my suitcase. I suspect I'll eventually be down to just the clothes on my back. lol
As far as the 7mil suit goes, everytime I've worn it there has been great disscussion over it. The dive shop employees have always tried to talk me out of wearing it. Saying it was too thick & I should wear a thinner suit. Obviously, I need extra weight to get down. Other than that, what difference is it to them. I once argued for 20 minutes over it, as I was not going to give in on it. I also feel that I'd rather be a bit warm, than cold. Nothing ruins a dive for me like being cold.

I dove Aruba in April, 2001. Water temps were around 72 and, with a 3-mil shorty, I was a little chilled. I'm returning mid-June and will take a 1.5-mil jumpsuit + beanie with me this time, which should be OK.

A lot of people have commented that Aruba is not a dive destination, but lemme tell you....if you're used to diving the mudholes that most of us have to put up with in our everyday diving experiences, Aruba is pretty darn good! I was entertained on every dive there and am looking forward to it.

I dove Red Sail last time and it was a positive experience. The dive master was very knowledgeable and easy-going. Only 5 divers on the boat, 2 of whom sat out the 2nd dive because one of them wasn't feeling well. Saw lots of sea life, took lots of pictures. No regrets.

For this upcoming trip, I thought I would contact a couple of the dive shops via e-mail and see what I could arrange. I had heard good things about Native Divers, so I zipped off a missive to them about a month ago. No reply yet. Maybe I'll try Pelican next.

I dove Aruba in April, 2001. Water temps were around 72 and, with a 3-mil shorty, I was a little chilled.

April 02, I did 8 dives off Aruba (all west side) and for 7 of the dives, water temps were 81/81 (F, surface and coldest) and for the eighth, temps were 81/79.

So, if both our temp measurements are accurate, you should find it much warmer this year. Much. (At 72, I'd feel cold in a 3mm shorty. At 80F, I'm comfortable in a one piece lycra+Polarfleece suit.

My first dive trip away from the U.S was Aruba, I'll never forget the wreck of the Antillia and the canons on the bottom in 35 ft of water. Also we did a surf entry dive on the south shore where the Dutch had blasted a part of the reef away in WW2 so that they could get their landing boats on the island. We had a great time and it was a great beginning to many trips away from home. Since that first trip we've been to Egypt and South Africa to do some diving.
Caymaniac

My dictionary defines "canon" as "a clerical dignitary belonging especially to a cathedral." Given all the flap recently about Catholic priests and young boys, it's gratifying to know that some of them are under 35' of water. They'll do less damage there.:tease:

We just returned from Aruba two weeks ago, and we did two single tanks dives and one 2-tank dive with Pelican and neither Deb or I wore and wet suits at all and we never got chilled one bit. Had we gotten the least bit cold after the first day we would have rented a shortie, but felt no need. Another vote for Pelican, and did both the Antilla wreck and the Sonesta Plane wreck. We were surprised at the decent quality of diving around Aruba, not expecting the best.

Just got back from a week in Aruba. I did a couple of 2-tank dives with Red Sail Sports. Water temp was around 76F. I wore a 1.5mil jumpsuit and was borderline chilly on the 2nd dive.

Just a note on observing the various dive boats: Red Sail uses Custom Dive Boats, IMHO the best boat for a dive platform. Other operators used various sizes and types; I'm sure they all get you there and back again, it's just a matter of comfort and convenience.

The staff of Red Sail was very professional and helpful. They did a good job, from the dive briefing to helping you back on the boat. Can't complain.

We had a great drift dive last Saturday...current was ripping along at about 3 knots. It was quite a ride!

Back
Top Bottom