Travel to Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaagua:
Are any accomodations closer to the dive sites than another? what do you think of Ramon's Village?

For all practical purposes there's no difference between hotels or dive centers in San Pedro for access to dive sites. Local sites are mostly 5-15 minutes away, Hol Chan is generally around 20, the Blue Hole around 2-2 1/4 hours. Don't forget these times are one-way.

Ramon's is just south of the center of town and well situated, with one of the best beaches around in the town area. Like all beaches here it's public, and being close to town it gets quite a lot of traffic, pedestrian and cycle. Some people don't like this. Ramon's have one of the two PADI 5* dive centers in Belize. If you do a search on them you'll find a mixture of comments.

Any feedback on Aqua dives? Also, how long and how much is the taxi ride from Belize International airport to the Municipal airport? Do they charge person or per taxi?

Is Belizian airport like Mexican airports in terms of the taxi companies at the airport itself riping people off? We flew to Cozumel and they wanted $10/person at the airport. We walked out of the airport, walked 100 yards and caught a cab for $4/person.
Thanks,

There is a water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris and costs like USD$20.00 round trip....takes about 1 hour each way.. .it is the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association. Way cheaper than an airplane

Yes, thank you, i've learned about the water taxi. We thought it might be fun to get a quick areal tour of the region. Just trying to figure all the parts out, so that that when we get there it's smooth sailing!

aquaagua:
Are any accomodations closer to the dive sites than another? what do you think of Ramon's Village?

AVOID Ramon's Village. I've been by it, and it is NOT what it is cracked up to be... Island dogs, the whole 9 yards. We stayed at Banyan and White Sands... White Sands is a little more expensive, and north of the cut which adds a 10 minute boat ride, but, lets be honest. How can ANY one ever get tired of Belize:sappy: ??

Protech, Amigos Del Mar & www.underdasea.com get my entire approval:D

ScubaBabe22:
AVOID Ramon's Village. I've been by it, and it is NOT what it is cracked up to be... Island dogs, the whole 9 yards. We stayed at Banyan and White Sands... White Sands is a little more expensive, and north of the cut which adds a 10 minute boat ride, but, lets be honest. How can ANY one ever get tired of Belize:sappy: ??

Protech, Amigos Del Mar & www.underdasea.com get my entire approval:D
Ramon's is great, nice bar and pool. Haven't stayed there tho. Heard good things of their dive op.

kimchicowboy:
i'll be heading out to caye caulker in 2 weeks. maybe spend a night in SP. when are you going, calhockey?
Too bad I will miss you. I will be there eleven days in August...............I dive with Belize dive service there now that Paradise down went down the tubes.......

1) How far is a taxi ride from the international airport to the water taxi dock? How much is it? Are rates person or per car? Can you share? Is it possible to walk out of the airport and get a taxi a block away for way cheaper (like in Cozumel where you walk down a 30-yard airport driveway and pay 1/3 of the taxi fair at the airport)?

2) Do you have to make reservations with water taxi folks ahead of time? Do they have schedules or whenever a boat is full? Any web sites I can look at?

3) How far is the taxi ride from the International airport to the Municipal airport? How much is that ride?

Anybody going to Ambergris 8/12 - 8/20?

Cheers,
calhockey

1. About 20mins
- $20 per car
- no - just go from airport
2. Can't make reservations - look at their website for times
3. about 10-15 mins depending on trafic - cant remember cost

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom