Travel to Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calhockey

Reaction score
What's the cheapest way to get from Belize City to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye?

What about to Belize city from SF, California?

Thanks!

I just heard that the water taxi, Thunderbolt, stopped operations (gasoline is up to US$5.40/gallonn now) so I guess the only way to get to San Pedro from Belize is flying Tropic or Royal Mayan Air. It's half the price if you fly from the Municipal Airport in Belize City so if you can get 3 or 4 people in the taxi to take you from the International to there, you'll save a bit over flying from the International Airport.
I flew once from SF to Belize on Taca. Went through El Salvador. Don't remember the price.

calhockey:
What's the cheapest way to get from Belize City to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye?

What about to Belize city from SF, California?

Thanks!

West Coast routing is generally on American or Continental through Dallas or Houston, then to Belize City. Tropic or Mayan to Ambergris. As said earlier, if you've got several people to make the taxi ride affordable, take it to the municipal airport and you'll save about 50% on the flight to SanPedro. If not, fly from the international airport, about $100.00 US per roundtrip ticket. Ken :42:

Hank49:
I just heard that the water taxi, Thunderbolt, stopped operations (gasoline is up to US$5.40/gallonn now) so I guess the only way to get to San Pedro from Belize is flying Tropic or Royal Mayan Air. It's half the price if you fly from the Municipal Airport in Belize City so if you can get 3 or 4 people in the taxi to take you from the International to there, you'll save a bit over flying from the International Airport.
I flew once from SF to Belize on Taca. Went through El Salvador. Don't remember the price.
Think the Thunderbolt was the taxi that went to Corozal not Belize city and i'm sure the Belize city water taxi is still running as it's always jammed - still way cheaper than flying - see link herehttp://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/pages/1/index.htm - getting to Belize from the westcoast, dont think there are any direct flights - probably have to go through Houston -
good luck and have a fab holiday -

Thunderbolt went to both Corozal and Belize City. There are still three water taxis to Belize City - Andrea, Triple J, and Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association. The last is the most expensive and has the best and most reliable schedule. All three dock in Belize City just outside Swing Bridge, CCWTA on the N. side of the river (the right hand side looking from the sea), the other two slightly further from the bridge on the S. side.

There isn't much difference in the cost of the water taxis, and they'r around half the full cost of flying from the Municipal airstrip. But watch out for bargain fares from Maya Island Air which can erode the gap considerably. At this time of the year there's such a risk of rain that I would always fly in preference.

Do you need to take a taxi from the intenational airport to the swing bridge for the water taxis? How far? How much? The same, what the distance/cost to get from internation to municipal airports?

What is your opinion on the following hotels:

* Caribbean Beach Front Hotel
* Sun Breeze Beach Resort
* Corona Del Mar
* Rio Guest House

A ranking, with any key +/- difference would be helpfull.

Also, what about Aqua Dives dive op? Compared to Bottom time or Protech?

Thanks!

I highly recommend Protech and "Chuck and Robbie's" (www.ambergriscayediving.com). My wife and I dove with Chuck and Robbie last Thanksgiving when we were in San Padro...they are a great out fit. I've also never heard a bad word about Protech.

Are any accomodations closer to the dive sites than another? what do you think of Ramon's Village?

Back
Top Bottom