Travel Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have emails asking for travel tips all the time.
Please check these out, and feel free to add your own.

#1 When possible fly Non Stop.
#2 The least busy days to fly are, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
#3 Do your homework. You can check on time flights and airlines. www.dot.gov/airconsumer
You can also get constant updates on weather and flight delays.
www.fly.faa.gov
#4 Always try to take the early flight of the day. There is a greater chance of suffering from the " Ripple effects" which are delays due to problems on earlier flights.
#5 Back your carry on as light as possible.
These are just my top 5. I have more ..but I'm hoping to hear your top 5 too.

Based on far too much business travel, here are some additional suggestions:

* Join the airline mileage program. Even if you aren't travelling a lot, the agent will see it on their screen and you may get better service.

* Travel with a Passport as your primary ID at the airport. Again, might identify you as a "professional" traveller, rather than an amateur.

* Avoid shoes with bulky heels in airport security. Watch who has to take off their shoes sometime...

* Make sure there is nothing in your carry-on that is contraband. You'd be surprised about the list.

* Make sure that you have a full-day's worth of clothing, medications, toiletries, etc., in your carry-on!

When flying on smaller regional carriers, always check in advance the policy on weight allowances. At checkin, you can get the most unpleasant surprise due to: a) being forced to pay a hefty excess fee; b) an abusive lecture from the airline staff c) not being allowed on to the flight.

Louie brings to mind an experience I had on my first trip to Australia. Seems as though their carry-on dimensions are smaller than the US ones, and even though I was on Ansett with a United ticket, my US carry-on was overlimit and needed to be checked as baggage!

jeffsterinsf once bubbled...
Louie brings to mind an experience I had on my first trip to Australia. Seems as though their carry-on dimensions are smaller than the US ones, and even though I was on Ansett with a United ticket, my US carry-on was overlimit and needed to be checked as baggage!

Yes, and Qantas and Air New Zealand also impose low limits on carryons - officially 5 kilograms (11 pounds), but they'll sometimes look the other way if it's the only carryon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom