"Travel" Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went down to the LDS & looked at the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED yesterday. Seems to be a nice white light, but the beam diffuses quite a bit....it would probably do well in the clear waters of Bonaire night diving, however. It was definitely compact enough....perhaps I'll pick a couple up. We'll see.

Jim

For years, I've carried Ikelite PCLites, the 4 C cell model. Used to be, I carried one in hand as a primary, the other in my BC pocket as a backup. In recent years, I've carried 2 clipped to D rings on my BC and bungeed against my chest (Cavern/cave diver style) as backups, and carried a Light Cannon as a primary.

As much as I love my Light Cannon, it has several drawbacks, most of which have been re-rehashed on this forum. The biggest drawback for me is: it's just too much light for a night reef dive in clear water.

On my recent trip to Utila, I took my new Shockwave LED light. Its "high" setting is about a third the output of the Light Cannon, and is more than adequate for night reef dives. I dove it on its "low" setting most of the time. Did not have to take spare batteries or a charger, because it gets MUCH more burn time than my Light Cannon.

For future reef-diving trips, the Shockwave LED will be my travel primary light. And I'll still take 2 small backups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom