Travel in July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SafetyStopBait

Registered
Reaction score
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey,

Looking for recommended travel destinations in Europe for July 2014 that are relatively easy to get to and offer activities/exploration/relaxation in addition to diving. I'm coming from Philadelphia, USA (between New York and Washington, DC).

I read this article on European diving ( http://www.dive.in/articles/diving-in-europe-10-best-dive-sites/#axzz2av2XjqLw) for starters.

The article's best suggestions seem to be Medas Islands in Spain, Anchor Bay in Malta, and Island of Chios in Greece. I'd love any thoughts, comments, or experiences in these locations or other recommendations.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike,
I am not the best one to reply to your questions but since no one else did, I'll give you my two cents.
I was born and raised in Italy, and I have dove in a few places over there. But this was 20 years ago, so I really cannot recommend any dive centers today.
However, the islands of Ustica and Ponza, and Sardinia are very popular places. As a diving place Ustica is myone of my favorites, it is a marine reserve so there is plenty of life and the reefs are very healthy. Additionally, you can do many archeological dives (wrecks, amphorae etc..) . Ponza is also a beautiful place (and the town is just amazing), mainly wall diving and very clear waters. From the article you mentioned, I am not sure what "Tortuga" is or where it is, as far as I know there is no town called Tortuga in Italy. There is a Tortuga diving center in Ustica, but in your article Tortuga and Ustica are separated... There is also another Tortuga diving center in Liguria, which is a region of Italy known for wrecks, but I have never been UW there. Sardinia has probably the best visibility in Italy, scuba there is very enjoyable and fun. However, it is quite expensive compared to the rest of the country (20 year ago I was a student with no money, so I never went UW in Sardinia). I have been in a trip to Malta but I don't recall the exact location. It was amazing, clear waters, full of fish, and healthy reefs.
I haven't been in other places in the Mediterranean (UW that is), but I bet Greece is just fabulous.
Sorry if I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!

Sardinia has some of the best coast in Italy and some of the best sites for scuba diving in the Mediterranean. You can dive all year round in Sardinia. There is diving all round the island to suit every taste: caves, wrecks, corals, crustaceans, etc.

snorkeling_pag.jpg

Dive sites in Sardinia
Diving centers in Sardinia - Scuba diving Sardinia Italy list
Region of Sardinia, Italy: 1970+ apartments, 755+ rooms, 1186+ villas/holiday houses

I'd say what type of diving do you like? Wrecks or wildlife ?

Out of that list I can only comment on :

Scapa Flow , amazing wrecks, water 15 degrees C in Summer so Drysuit would be best but not absolutely necessary, air temps 17-30 degrees depending on how good the summer is... Scenery of Scottish highlands and Islands are beautiful, wrecks and the whiskies are pretty awesome, wildlife is ok... Just don't expect a tan..

Scapa Flow : Historic Wreck Site

Malta is a hot rock, no vegetation, popular holiday destination so plenty of accommodation options, I've not dived it but its got a very good reputation... Gozo is nice, less build up and has good diving..

Cyprus is basically the Zenobia and a couple of non-descript reefs/wrecks devoid of life ( they spear everything). Having said that the Zen makes it worth going, its huge and great for exploring all the decks, very safe.. Cyprus and the Turkish side have a lot of history to explore... but dam it gets hot there in Summer (43C).

Zenobia Wreck Dive - Diving Zenobia in Larnaca, Cyprus. Zenobia Wreck Dive, Top 5 Dive

Malta / Cyprus are all good value destinations as they have a lot of visitors/are in trouble but I when I last looked at Greece it was not as cheap as it could have been given it's troubles.. Still probably cheaper that France/Italy...

Croatia might be another option but don't bother with mainland Spain! Balearics sound interesting..

Another option might be south west England ( Weymouth and East of) , great wrecks/history but again a tan cannot be guaranteed.

Trips reports you might find interesting..
Trip Reports

Worldwide Dive Sites, Accommodation and Liveaboards

Back
Top Bottom