Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kurtguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Since I live in the prairies I do all of my diving away from home. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a travel BC? I was looking at the Cressi Travel Light because I like the integrated weight system, any thoughts?

Kurtguy

I have a Aeris Reef Rider. It is weight intergrated as well. It is also back inflate and that is the main reason I like it. No matter which one you choose you need to try it in a pool and see if you like it. If you buy one on the net make sure it is from an authorized dealer.

I recently obtained an Oxycheq SS travel plate, two medium deluxe weight pockets and 18lb wing with deluxe harness. Light, minimalist and a great setup.

I travel with my Zeagle Scout - it works well for me. Don't buy the extra add-on pockets if you ever plan to use them in cold water - the zippers came apart on me (tugging in the wrong direction with dry gloves) and besides, the zippers are too small to use with gloves. If you plan to dive in cold water with a 7mm wetsuit you might find the 25 lb lift a bit wimpy - you can do it, just be careful not to overweight yourself. If you dive a drysuit lift will not be an issue. If you dive a drysuit, try to buy one with thigh pockets. If you dive a wetsuit, this product rocks: Highland by XS-Scuba 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts .

The Scout is back-inflate, making you more stable in the water.

After a cavern course I found the inflate hose on the Scout to be too long, so I cut it down by several inches.

I am very much not a fan of integrated weights for a travel BC - they make your whole BC huge. A weight belt is a much more compact choice.

For travel, check out the Zeagle Express tech. Several friends just rave about it. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html
Video: http://www.scuba.com/video/88/Zeagle-Express-Tech-Buoyancy-Compensator-BC-Video-Review.html

Also check out the Aqualung Zuma and Diver Rite Travelpac BCD. Both out recently were developed to be lightweight and versatile. I have tried on the Zuma but have yet to get one wet. The DR Travelpac is a more lightweight version of my transpac which I love and currently use for travel.
Just a few options to check out. Good luck.

It's hard to beat the Apeks WTX Harness system for travel. You can use it without the backplate for single tank diving. You can use weight pockets or leave them at home and just rent a weight belt.

For travel, check out the Zeagle Express tech. Several friends just rave about it. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html
Video: Scuba.com Video: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator (BC) Video Review - Buoyancy Compensators

Also check out the Aqualung Zuma and Diver Rite Travelpac BCD. Both out recently were developed to be lightweight and versatile. I have tried on the Zuma but have yet to get one wet. The DR Travelpac is a more lightweight version of my transpac which I love and currently use for travel.
Just a few options to check out. Good luck.

Completely agree the express tech is something I'm considering cus it seems to be as good as my bp/w for rec usage:

First, I don't like traditional jacket bcds cus they take ages to dry, are usually bulky n don't fit me well. I am seriously considering this setup cus it's light, has replaceable parts n is as streamline as my bp/w.

For the price of something like a scubapro knight hawk you could get Zeagle Express Tech it comes with a 24lbs wing which is usually good enough for most warm water dives and with $ to spare to get another larger wing for dry suit use.

Some reviews n modifications on this bcd:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...ide-mounting-mods-my-zeagle-express-tech.html

There's a deluxe version that comes with an adjustable harness too:
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD reviews and discounts, Zeagle

Cheers,

SangP

It depends what style BC you are looking for, vest style or back inflate.

In the vest style there is the highly rated Cressi Travelight and the Seaquest Passport. I have also been reading about the new Scubapro Geo.

The back inflates include the Zeagle Zeus and aforementioned Scout. Mares as the the Icon and Oceanic has the Islander and Islander 2.

Keep in mind "travel" BC is a marketing gimmick. Not all BCs are publicized as travel even though they would be suitable as such. A travel BC usually weighs less than 8lbs dry weight.

Back
Top Bottom