"Travel" BCD appropriate for regular use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gregorius

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been researching this for ages, and was pretty set on the Mares Icon as my BCD to purchase and take with me on my next trip. Basically the trip entails a 4 month stint in Indonesia where I'll do a divemaster internship, and get trained up to Instructor level. i'm not sure if i'll take the IE, but at the least I'd hope to get certified as Assistant Instructor (I dont think i'd make the best instructor around with just the 4 months internship experience, but that's another matter).

After that, I'm going to head over to Central & South America, where i'll be travelling extensively for 18 months to 2 years. I backpack around, so carry everything on my back - no wheely suitcases, no hotel transfers, none of this luxury stuff - i do it cheap and proper.

Only reason I'm even considering taking scuba gear with me is because I hope to work along the way... perhaps in Honduras, Belize, Ecuador, etc. And if i'm responsible for the lives of other divers, I'd prefer to have my own gear that i know and trust.

So, with my plan in mind, my question is this: Would a BCD such as a Mares Icon, or even lighter still Scubapro Geo hold up to the amount of diving i'm likely to be doing? I hadn't thought about this, but was in a dive shop today and the owner mentioned that these travel BCDs are designed for holiday diving, not rigorous regular diving like i'll be doing working as a divemaster. He suggested i go for something stronger...

I found the Scubapro Equator which looks like something in between, but again, will it hold up? Should i be giving up on travelling with my gear, and just buy something cheap to use when i need it, and sell it when i'm done?

Has anybody done anything similar that can pass on some words of wisdom?

I also travel with a pro camera and laptop, so really weight is going to be the killer for me on this trip... i'm in a bit of a pickle as to what to take with me, and what to buy.

Hoping to get some good tips... its been a really tough decision to make. AT least i've bought my Regs (Mares Carbon 42) and computer.. and already had fins mask snorkel... but BCD, i think that's the toughest one to choose.

Thanks heaps for any tips
Greg

For size and weight the Zeagle Express Tech is about as small and light as you can get. Add some plastic D rings, couple of XS Scuba weight pouches or a weight belt and it will weight slightly more than 5#.

Most people who have tried them really like them.

go for the express tech it is awesome. I have my entire gear fit into a carry on bag.

Thanks for the tips all... I've heard people bang on about the Zeagle Express Tech on these forums, but haven't looked into it enough to know what the fuss is all about. Could somebody summarise the advantages of a Zeagle over a normal BCD? With my purposes in mind would be good (travel, divemastering, instructoring down the line, maybe).

JackPak looks great too, anybody used one of them before?

For backpacking...

BP&W with Aluminium backplate and hog (basic) harness. Remove any unnessary d-rings to save weight.

Correctly fit and size the harness, then mark the points in white pen. Disassemble the kit. Put the Ali backplate into the pouch in your backpack (where the foam insert would normally go. Roll up the bladder and harness small...it'll take no space at the bottom of your backpack.

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet Andy.. but is that bc really suitable for working/ diving in, 6 days a week, up to 4 dives a day, for 4 months??

I'm starting to think maybe i should get a proper BCD for that purpose, and if i want to carry one around for travelling after, send it home and pick up a travel bcd for the rest of my travels.

thoughts?

A backplate/wing set up IS a proper BCD.
(some may say "IS THE proper BCD")

I don't have a lot of dives on my Zeagle ET, but it is built as tough as any other rec bc.
I just had a dive in 60 degree F water and it does have the disadvantage that I set it up for warm water and cannot carry all of the weight I need in the ditchable pockets. Packing is a snap, especially since I removed the extra pads that I thought I'd need. There is a lot more experience out here with the ease of use while learning/teaching. Good Luck with your adventure! OND

Andy is right. But I also own an ExpressTech that I'd seriously consider first since I don't own an al plate. People have modifed the ET for sidemount, doubles, etc. Hell I bet if you took the wing off you could use it for a backpack harness set up!

Back
Top Bottom