"Travel bands" vs. backplate systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pnewlon

Registered
Reaction score
For a variety of reasons, I've been contemplating the purchase of the twins setup from Ultimate Products Corp. (www.quickdrawbracket.com) My current setup is a Seaquest Balance BC with a single AL80.

I talked to one of the more experienced divers that I've been buddying with, who uses a Halcyon backplate system. He said that I am better off diving a single until I can afford a backplate/wing system such as he uses. His reasoning is that the UPC system will flop around alot, causing stress and greater air consumption.

I would like to hear some feedback from people that have used the UPC or similar twins product on a "standard" BC. I am not prepared to invest in a Halcyon/DiveRite backplate setup and think that twins (no manifold, dual first/second stages, octopus on right tank) on my current BC are a viable option.

If you're "not prepared to invest in a backplate setup", why bother to ask about it?

Roak

roakey:
If you're "not prepared to invest in a backplate setup", why bother to ask about it?

Roak
I could be convinced bite the bullet if there is a glaring negative about the UPC twins systems.

one of those 'worst of all worlds' concepts...

You end up with independent doubles, using a BC designed for a single tank, and a fairly expensive ($240) gadget to hold it all together.

Listen to your experienced diver buddy...

A bp/wing/harness can be had for around $400. For the extra $160, there is no question. Either pop the extra cash or run away very fast. Your buddy is right. Independent doubles have many drawbacks. Manifolding doubles with that type of setup can be dangerous due to stress on the manifold and the chance of a major hp leak. Sell your current bc for $160 and it's a wash.

pnewlon:
I could be convinced bite the bullet if there is a glaring negative about the UPC twins systems.
Ok, that's not what you originally said, so let's start with: Why do you want to dive doubles?

Roak

pnewlon:
For a variety of reasons, I've been contemplating the purchase of the twins setup from Ultimate Products Corp. (www.quickdrawbracket.com) My current setup is a Seaquest Balance BC with a single AL80.

I talked to one of the more experienced divers that I've been buddying with, who uses a Halcyon backplate system. He said that I am better off diving a single until I can afford a backplate/wing system such as he uses. His reasoning is that the UPC system will flop around alot, causing stress and greater air consumption.

I would like to hear some feedback from people that have used the UPC or similar twins product on a "standard" BC. I am not prepared to invest in a Halcyon/DiveRite backplate setup and think that twins (no manifold, dual first/second stages, octopus on right tank) on my current BC are a viable option.

I have a Balance and I also just acquired a Dive Rite doubles setup. I thought the cost was going to be out of sight as well but I was able to get the stainless steel backplate, Classic Wing (59 lbs of lift), Deluxe harness w/crotch strap and weight pouches, 300 bar manifold with isolator, and tank bands for $579. The same tank bands (7 1/4") work for alum 80's or HP steels.

I would not use the balance with two tanks - even alum 80's. That will be a lot of weight for that BC. The medium provides 36 pounds of lift and the large provides 40 pounds of lift. The backing is not designed for this kind of weight either. It does say right in your owners manual not to use doubles with this BC. If you need more air in a single configuration I suggest you get a HP steel 120 with an H-valve. This will provide a measure of redundancy and a good supply of air.

--Matt

roakey:
Ok, that's not what you originally said, so let's start with: Why do you want to dive doubles?

Roak
Reasons for wanting doubles:

- Finding buddies that want to dive in 40 deg F water means (so far) that I am only finding people that are "serious" about their diving. All my fair weather buddies are telling me to wait until June to dive. In the near-term, what's happening is that I'm cutting short their dives because I'm draining a tank in 35-40 minutes. This is the initial problem that I am wanting to solve.
- Ultimately I want to do some Great Lakes/East Coast wreck diving, a single 80 isn't going to provide sufficient bottom time. I _thought_ that the UPC travel bands would be a viable alternative.
- Also, how do you take manifolded doubles to the Caribbean? (or anyplace else for that matter...)

Matt - the best I've found so far on that setup is over $700.... did you buy new or used?

I use independent doubles but use them on a backplate. Doubles of any type on anything other than a backplate or some type of suitable hardpack just do not offer the minimum amount of stability required.

I use a set of aqua explorers travel bands and like them as they are both durable and offer good stability.

Indpendent doubles users are a minority and it isn't DIR so the concept gets flamed a lot. But they do offer certain advantages in certain situations that make up for the need to switch regs twice during the dive to maintain proper rule of thirds gas management.

pnewlon:
Reasons for wanting doubles:

- Finding buddies that want to dive in 40 deg F water means (so far) that I am only finding people that are "serious" about their diving. All my fair weather buddies are telling me to wait until June to dive. In the near-term, what's happening is that I'm cutting short their dives because I'm draining a tank in 35-40 minutes. This is the initial problem that I am wanting to solve.
- Ultimately I want to do some Great Lakes/East Coast wreck diving, a single 80 isn't going to provide sufficient bottom time. I _thought_ that the UPC travel bands would be a viable alternative.
- Also, how do you take manifolded doubles to the Caribbean? (or anyplace else for that matter...)

Matt - the best I've found so far on that setup is over $700.... did you buy new or used?

Brand new from my LDS (after some research and price negotiations). Northeast Scuba Supply (do a search on Yahoo for this and you will find the site) offers good prices. My LDS was willing to match these prices for some components and even beat their prices on a few items.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom