Travel bag for dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilSlumLord

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all:

Very new to SB but have already learned a lot from the postings here. Just got my OW cert (had a few resort dives before that got me hooked) and have accumulated all the major gear (wetsuit, Zeagle Ranger BC, ...) Taking a break from the frigid waters of WA state, we are going to Tahiti this summer and you can bet I am going diving.

The question is how to best pack all my gear so that it doesn't get damaged, stolen, whatever on the way. I have a 3mm one-piece wetsuit, the BC, octopus, fins, ... and am trying to figure out if I should buy one of the various bags I see out there that seem to be designed for hauling scuba gear or if I should just pack it all carefully into some hard-sided luggage.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your insights,

EvilSlumLord

Welcome ESL, to Scubaboard. Perhaps you can explain your handle at some later date, but I won't press you for that now. As you'll soon see, people have a number of opinions on this board, it's up to you to sort them out and see what works for you. As for me, I use a rolling duffel with a hard bottom, but pack my regs, computer, and mask in my carry-on luggage.

There is something to be said for hard sided luggage, some of which is pretty affordable, as it can protect your gear from crush damage, and seems to be lighter than a full-on pelican case or storm case (which eat up the airline weight allowance pretty quickly).

Personally, I've avoided the rolling dive luggage emblazoned with dive logos, as I'm afraid they might attract the wrong kind of attention. Given the relatively light gear planned for your Tahiti trip, i.e. no video housings, or 7mm suits, I'd look into some smaller rolling dive bags like the TUSA rolling duffel, or one of the smaller "full-size" bags. I use a 30" wheeled duffel from High Sierra I bought from Campmor (sp?), and have made a number of trips without problems, but some others have found them to be too lightly built for their needs. I add a TSA peli-lock for some security.

Def stay away from anything with dive symbols or logos all over it.

This Sept I will be going to Barbados and will pack like this. In a small carry on, roller bag, I will put my bp and wing and a couple of masks and my small digi camera. In a backpack I will have my regs and computers.

In a check in suit case will be my pony, suits and fins plus whatever clothes I take.

I use a plastic zip tie on the zippers of the check in suit case with a couple more taped to the handle if TSA opens the bag.....hopefully they will take a second and reseal it. They no long provide replacement ties by the way. And, I have heard way too many stories of the TSA locks being cut off.

Face it, you can only make the bag "honest person proof" as a thief will get in
if they want to get in.

On location, I put all my gear in an extra large mesh back pack by Armour and it works fine. Folds up nice and neat to fit under any boat seat plus has a dry pocket as well.

Thanks, this is great advice. I figured luggage with big diving logos would be a mistake but didn't even think about the reg/computer going in my carry on (yeah, I'm a noob, what can I say. ;-)).

slingshot, the handle is something the folks at work jokingly hung on me as I own a few rental properties (which don't hurt in keeping me in my diving habit) and in their minds I must be running them like Joe Pesci in "The Super". I'm probably the nicest landlord you ever met but there was no convincing those guys....

EvilSlumLord

I have an article on traveling with dive gear at my website below. It might be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom