Travel Agents steering away from Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Brandt:
I just got back......felt like 1997 again.

Ron

Let me know when it's 1987 down there again. Unfortunately, we can't bring dear, departed Tom Hartdegan back (not that there aren't some people that don't really care so much about that). Oh the good old days. I love progress, but, Cozumel 'progressed' itself right out of a lot of divers books. People have to make money though, so its all good. I do, however, have great memories and stories to tell about a young man-diver-carouser (although I thought at the time that 27 was quite old and mature) diving and catting around with the "old" man...all those tequilla, marijuana, mushroom and {add other extra-curricular activities here} headaches...and that was just during the diving...hahaa...

I hear the 'boating up' in the morning is quite the mad scene right now...truth to that? I am heading down in March to catch up with Apple and see how things are going...East End Grand Cayman in a couple weeks...wooohoooo...

Really, those who use travel agents are doomed to be disappointed. Strike out on the internet and get it all yourself - you'll save yourself a bundle. You don't really think in the end you're not paying for whatever the travel agent is making do you? Also, you can ALWAYS find a better deal than they will give you because they are motivated by commissions, not your best interests...some agents are great, but most I really wouldn't give my business to...anyway, that's all just my opinion, and I am sure there are plenty of good agents out there that look out for their customers, but you have to know them, or be referred to them or find them here on Scubaboard!!!! {Did I avoid the cyber-lynching there? haha}

Well.. I booked a quick cruise to Cozumel and was just notified by Carnival that they were changing the port to Calica! Apparently, Carnival lost their dock in the storm and the City of Cozumel wanted to charge them 4 million to use their pier. So, Carnival told Cozumel to shove it and went south. This sucks because I have a friend there who owns a diveshop. Now, I had to make diving plans in Calica...Cozumel will be loosing a lot of money if tourists and cruise ships are being re routed.

gratefuljames:
I hear the 'boating up' in the morning is quite the mad scene right now...truth to that?
No...I dive with Pelagic Ventures and we leave the Caleta at 9:00Am. One morning Christi's baot was loading while we were waiting for people and Papa Hog's was also loading.

There were not many boats out on any given day and was not a mad house.

Ron

Phuket Thailand was great a month after the tsunami hit there. Most of the obnoxiously drunk and high maintainance tourists weren't there.

Hopefully I can get to Cozumel this year before the herds return there.

I just got back from Coz. Never been there before.

The corals were all covered in sand-everywhere. And the city looked like the scene from the A-bomb films in Nevada (except a bit cleaner). From the dive boat, every building along the shore was see-thru.

I would imagine that the natural surge and currents will clear the corals in a number of months. I hope so, as I'd like to see what everyone was talking about for myself....

Wristshot, is that really your hood for diving, or just some crafty photoshop? If you really got the scuba horns, please share with us where to get such a kewl hood.

SteveDiver:
Well.. I booked a quick cruise to Cozumel and was just notified by Carnival that they were changing the port to Calica! Apparently, Carnival lost their dock in the storm and the City of Cozumel wanted to charge them 4 million to use their pier. So, Carnival told Cozumel to shove it and went south. This sucks because I have a friend there who owns a diveshop. Now, I had to make diving plans in Calica...Cozumel will be loosing a lot of money if tourists and cruise ships are being re routed.

Ummm...not sure where you heard all that, but we have had several Carnival ships here since the storm as well as many other ships. In fact, we had 7 ships here the other day...doesn't make me personally happy, but I guess it is good for the overall economy.

Diving plans in Calica??? Just FYI, Calica is the name of the pier, not the place. For all intensive purposes, Calica is Playa de Carmen. If your friend owns a dive shop in Cozumel, you could still come over and dive for the day...the Calica pier is just about 10 minutes from the ferry to Coz.

Cruise ships do not support the diving economy by the way...land-based divers do.

Sounds to me like you have alot of conjecture and bad information from people.

detroit diver:
I just got back from Coz. Never been there before.

The corals were all covered in sand-everywhere. And the city looked like the scene from the A-bomb films in Nevada (except a bit cleaner). From the dive boat, every building along the shore was see-thru.

I would imagine that the natural surge and currents will clear the corals in a number of months. I hope so, as I'd like to see what everyone was talking about for myself....

I have to respectfully disagree with some of your statements.

To say that "The corals were all covered in sand-everywhere" is an exaggeration. There are some sites where the sand is worse than others, but you are right, it will take a few months to clear it all away. Other sights, I'm sure much of what you are seeing is not sand COVERED reef, but reef that was previously buried in sand now UNCOVERED...so it's white. There will eventually be new growth in those now exposed areas. Finally, there is still an abundance of live healthy reef...and some that is still pristine.

The city looked like an A-Bomb went off? Hardly...but you should have seen it on October 23. Things are going remarkably well and the truth is that in many areas, you cannot tell a hurricane came through.

The hotels to the south such as Reef Club, Allegro, Occidental Grand, and Iberostar are making alot of progress as well...and in fact I was surprised myself today when I saw the progress they've made down there just in the week's time since I dove down there last.

Finally, I saw something today that gave me alot of hope and really lifted my spirits. Inside a barrell sponge was a piece of finger coral, that had apparently broken off and landed in this barrel sponge. The finger coral had attached itself to the barrel sponge and was forming new polyps already! The reef regeneration HAS begun and this is just one illustration of how resiliant the coral reefs are and on the same hand, how fragle thye are. I've been trying to find the silver linings everyday, and thatwas one I found today!

lilycat:
You know what that means? No high maintenance people in Cozumel! Now that sounds like a perfect holiday. :)
Those kind of people stay at the big AI resorts anyway.

The travel agent the OP wrote about is just looking out for him/her self. I don't need a TA to help me decide where I want to go. I consider myself more of a traveler than at tourist. Tourists need to have a TA.

Christi:
Ummm...not sure where you heard all that, but we have had several Carnival ships here since the storm as well as many other ships. In fact, we ahad 7 ships here the other day...doens't make me personally happy, but I guess it is good for the overall economy.

Diving plans in Calica??? Just FYI, Calica is the name of the pier, not the place. For all intensive purposes, Calica is just south of Playa de Carmen. If your friend owns a dive shop in Cozumel, you could still come over and dive for the day...the Calica pier is just about 10 minutes from the ferry to Coz.

Cruise ships do not support the diving economy by the way...land-based divers do.

Sounds to me like you have alot of conjecture and bad information from people.

I was informed this by Alison "Scuba with Alison" and when I called carnival to complain the rep informed me that they changed the port due to Cost Issues and to keep the cruise prices down. Thanks for telling me what Calica is did not know...We booked with another dive operator after consulting with Alision regarding not having enough time to get to her. The ship will only be in port from 9am-5pm .. and we want to get four dives in... There is seven of us going all of whom are not very happy about not going to Cozumel...

I am wondering why there have been carnival ships there? hmmmm. something is up... Our friends travel agent called to inform them of the change and offered their money back stating the same reason... Do you think this is something that has not yet occurred?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom