Transporting Gear on Dive Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFishee

Reaction score
What's the best way to transport your dive gear on cruise ship dive excursions?

We were thinking that the roller bag would be helpful in the event we have to cart the gear for long distances. But then again, since we don't know what boats we are going out on, there is know way to be sure the roller gear bags will fit the boat storage space.

Any suggestions?

Are you diving with shore based dive operators at each port of call, or does the cruise ship have its own dive operation? :06:

We are cruising on the Carnival Ship Paradise. For Belize and Cozumel, we were planning to book the ship's dive excursions.

We are still undecided about Roatan and Grand Cayman. We'd like to dive Sting Ray City in GC. Looks like the ship excursion is snorkel only, but we're not sure.

Roatan, we're thinking about doing the dolphin dive at Anthony Key's Resort, probably the ship's excursion as AKR says they don't take advanced reservations.

Our problem is that their customer service is of no help and tells us we can't get ANY information or questions answered concerning dives until after we are onboard the ship.

You should be fine with your roller bag...at least here in Cozumel anyway. The operators used by most of the ships are larger profile boats with sufficient stowage space beneath your bench. That being said, practically speaking, I'd rather go with a mesh bag myself so my roller bag doesn't get all salty but hey...that's just me! ;-) Chances are you won't have to lug the gear far as alot of the big cruise ship operators pull right up to the ship piers these days. have fun!!

Thanks very much for the info. :dazzler1:

scubafishee thanks for the question I'm going on a cruise 5/22 and I'll be diving in naussa, bahamas thru the ships excursion. cozumelinsider thanks for the answer.I'll probably go with my mesh bag and use dive bouts weights. Unless you guys have any other ideas or advise

Mr Mares:
Are you diving with shore based dive operators at each port of call, or does the cruise ship have its own dive operation? :06:

I'm curious why this might change the answer to the original question...

Scubafishee,
You will love having your roller bag for your gear bag during the cruise, especially in Coz., as the cruise ship piers are verrrrrrry long and if you take full gear, it will get very heavy before you get to your dive shop. We wouldn't want to try it any other way. even if your dive op is picking you up at the pier, it's a long workout (which as I understand, isn't good for you anyway, prior to a dive.)

If you find your dive boats don't have room, you could always throw a mesh bag into your roller bag. Then, if you are unable to carry the big bag, you could stash it at the dive shop, carrying on what you need in the mesh.

Foo

how about this for those that don't want to carry the heavy bag thru long piers. those smally dollys that elderly use for groceries. i have one that is very compact(i'm not elderly but it came in handy when i had to carry heavy gear and books from a parking lot to class, it also saved me from possible injury.) i'll use it in the bahamas and i'll tell you how it worked.
alex t.

ScubaFishee:
What's the best way to transport your dive gear on cruise ship dive excursions?

We were thinking that the roller bag would be helpful in the event we have to cart the gear for long distances. But then again, since we don't know what boats we are going out on, there is know way to be sure the roller gear bags will fit the boat storage space.

Any suggestions?
The roller bag and a small mesh bag is the way to go. The small mesh bag is great if you want to just go snorkel some where or even if you want to use it as a small shopping bag for port calls.

Anthonys Key Resort in Roatan had a very large boat for us to use. I cruised with Royal Carib to Roatan and did AKR. The boat they had was very large and had tons of room to spare!
The roller bag is the way to go since it is a drag to haul all that stuff down the very long piers and don't expect a porter or anyone else to haul it for you till you hit the gate. They had a bus waiting outside the gate and haul you to the other side of the island (bout 20 or 25 min ride) to their great resort.

Now if the dive boat is small (St. Kitts) they will help you unload your bag into the boat and store it for you either in the dive shop or a locker close by. I haul a lot of gear since I am a photographer so I always use a roller but then do a "dump" at the boat if it is too small.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom