Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC Card) Due by April 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its only going to get worse with the new Obamination

This has nothing at all to do with Obama, the Bush administration brought this upon us.

Be prepared to say goodbye to your current style licenses. Soon, the USCG is going to eliminate the current MMD, License, STCW and Certificate of Registry and combine them all into a new passport-book style "Merchant Mariner Credential". In the future, a mariner will have to go to TSA first for the fingerprinting and background stuff, then take that to the USCG for the MMC.

When I last renewed my packet had all sorts of stuff about this. I called the CG (group NY) to get clarification and they told me that it did not apply. It's only for the guys going country to country.

So, do all you guys have your cards?
As I said above I was told I didn't need one, but than a friend told me they were denying license renewals if you don't have the card. I work 1 block form the NY CG training & licensing facility. I made my appointment for Thursday.

If you don't have your TWIC card, your license is technically no longer valid. During an inspection earlier this year, the USCG inspector told the vessel owner that his license was not valid without his TWIC card and that he could NOT run any charters until he had his card in hand. It was the only 835 (violation) that we had.

That was a VERY busy month for me!

well, I'm going Thursday.
I technically don't use my license but I worked hard to get it and for many reasons I don't want to loose it.

Ditto on the USCG non-renewal of licenses without a TWIC.

It seems the USCG and TSA were rolling out making them a requirement to enter ports a couple of ports at a time. The last required by date was in April.

Make sure you tell the TWIC person that you are a Merchant Mariner or they won't flag your application to show in the USCG database. I had to call TWIC and have them do that after the fact before they could see me for renewal.

The one advantage I have found is you no longer need to get fingerprinted when you renew your license. The TWIC card takes care of that. Went into the Miami USCG office in the Fed. Bldg. and in addition to the normal application all they wanted was a copy of the TWIC card. Left in under fifteen minutes and the new license arrived in under three weeks. Very smooth.

I got an e-mail stating the card is ready. I went today to pick it up and the office is closed for Columbus day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom