Transport Canada Regulations for flying with cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know where I can find transport Canada's regulations for flying with compressed gas cylinders. I know I need to have the valve removed. I have found TSA's regulations, but I know that Transport Canada will have their own set of regulations and I would like to be able to print them off to accompany my pony.

Are you flying domestically or overseas?

In either event, my experience is that airlines make their own rules and it doesn't matter much *what* you print to show them. If they decide you can't take it then you can't take it. The people working at the check-in desks often pretend (at least I hope it's pretending) that they can't read and can't understand whatever language you try speaking...

right then.... having said that. Here's the address (Google is your friend). Maybe you can call or email your question to them.

Email: Questions@tc.gc.ca
Phone: 613-990-2309
TTY:1-888-675-6863
Fax: 613-954-4731 / 613-998-8620
Mailing Address:
Transport Canada
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0N5

R..

These links may help:
aircanada.com - Travel Info - Sports Equipment
aircanada.com - Travel Info - Carry On Baggage
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority
Canadian Air Transport Security Authority

The Air Canada stuff may sound complicated but what they are saying (it seems to me) if you use the rigid shipping container for your sports equipment you will be able to make limited damage claims if something does get damaged. Also, the equipment you have so packaged and pre-registered is an extra allowance that shouldn't cost you extra if you stay within weight limits. In the past I have not bothered with the extra container and just packed my scuba gear in with my regular baggage. I just carry on the precious non-replacable stuff ie. dive computer(with its dive data), camera image cards, regulator (cuz I don't want Homeland security dickin' around with it) etc. As to your question all of the info seems to indicated that an empty pony bottle with the valve removed wouldn't cause any concern. If you are worried still, request a hand inspection of the checked bag with you present. I have done this many times when I carry odd looking electronic pieces in my checked bags...they have always been happy to do this...at least at the regional airports.

Graeme, I just looked into this and if you are flying of out of Canada CATSA says it has to go in checked luggage. The US TSA allows it in carry on. You would think that they could at least have the same set of rules.

I have flown out of Buffalo, NY with my pony in carry on and had no troubles. My next trip is out of Toronto and according to the CATSA website it has to go in checked - even though I am flying on a US carrier. I am taking the valve in carry on.

As Diver0001 suggests, it is hit and miss and depends on the people you happen to encounter on that day.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I am leaving for Cozumel next weekend. I think I have found all the info that i need... The airline really only says that the tank has to be empty, but i guess the best way to prove that to someone who knows nothing about compressed gas is to leave the valve out, which I will do.

TSA has several contradictory documents on its website, one which says tanks can't be taken on an aircraft at all, and another which says they may be checked or carried on as long as the valve is removed. However if you try to get a definitive answer on which is correct you will be told that these documents are just guidelines, and the inspector on the spot has the power to ban anything he or she feels like. So by all means print out whichever TSA document you are going to believe and take it along to show the inspector if necessary - but also always have a plan B for what you will do with your gear if the inspector bans it.

The US TSA allows it in carry on.

Back
Top Bottom