Transplate question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the Halcyon plates because they're bent so they don't jab into the hips.

Other than that, a backplate is a backplate is a backplate. If you need quick release buckles, the transplate works well. If you could use the Halcyon Cinch, I'd trust it with heavy doubles more than I would the transplate.

i would avoid the dive rite plate if I had it to do over again for this reason.
not an issue in the water but it's noticeably less comfortable on land.

I dove the dive Rite aluminum and steel B/P with the delux harness for some time and had no issue with it. I recently switched to the Halcyon cinch and love it because I can adjust it to any size and any exposure suit instantly. I set my wife up with the transplate (she switched from a BC) and she loves it. I have a similar condition with the shrinking gear and honestly believe you would be happier with the cinch with the back and strap padding.

When I first started cave diving, I used a Transplate. However, I didn't like the way my backup light laid across the strap buckle. I got a standard backplate with continuous webbing harness because of that.

I still dive my Tranplate in the ocean, however. I like being able to unclip it and remove it in the water...handy when diving off private boats where the ladder isn't sturdy enough to handle me plus my gear. My partner also has a Transplate and dives hers in both saltwater and caves.

Why "transplate" harness instead of a one-piece hog?

~$149:
Dive_Rite_Depth_TransPlate_Harness.jpg

$33.15...
BC1063HOG-480.jpg

Dive-Rite Standard Harness at www.DiveSeekers.com

I want the padded cushyness of the transplate. And a transplate doesn't cost me anywhere near that. I'm a DR Dealer

I dive a transplate in the caves, ocean, lakes etc.... and love it. The little bit of padding is nice when having to do long walks with double 108s. More importantly, when I get a Nomad it will be set up exactly the same as far as D-Rings and the "Dog Houses" go - so it will be easy to switch between the 2 seamlessly. I have a stainless plate with a standard 1 piece harness on it and just do not like it as much - not as comfortable in or out of the water and not easily adjustable. Ive had no problems with durability over the past 150 dives all in steel doubles and I am not gentile on my equipment. I did however remove the extra D-rings on the shoulders - I personally found them unnecessary and in the way of my backup light on the right shoulder (which I use the velcro inflator strap to secure + bolt snap to the D-Ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom