Transparent mask frames?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBH

Registered
Reaction score
I've just received a Mares liquid skin mask with a yellow frame and grey sides. Trying it on, I feel my field of vision is limited compared to transparent masks, although I probably wouldn't be able to focus and see clearly through the side of a transparent liquid skin. Are there any pro/con's on this matter, or is it purely down to personal preference?

I'm asking because I have the option of returning the mask, but it's hard to know how it'll feel underwater, so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

Return it and get a mask with a black skirt. You will see better and have no annoying images you can't focus on.

Ok, so transperent is no good I guess?

It's grey and not transparent at all, shouldn't that be as good as black?

When I started diving, I couldn't handle the black, I felt it tunneled my vision.... I opted for the clear sides... It works for me.. however, I have noticed that EVERYONE I dive with opts for the black!

It really is a matter of comfort!
Funny you mention the yellow, since I had looked into them. They give precise detail for shooting and riding, I figured why not diving... but didn't follow through with it.

Good luck, hope this helps, happy diving :D

I've just received a Mares liquid skin mask with a yellow frame and grey sides. Trying it on, I feel my field of vision is limited compared to transparent masks, although I probably wouldn't be able to focus and see clearly through the side of a transparent liquid skin. Are there any pro/con's on this matter, or is it purely down to personal preference?

I'm asking because I have the option of returning the mask, but it's hard to know how it'll feel underwater, so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

I have 2 masks with black skirts and one with a clear skirt.

I dive the one that fits me best :) If you get a nice low volume mask, the amount that the black skirt restricts your vision should be minimal. But in the end dive whatever mask is the most comfortable & seals best

Ar eyou looking for a transparent frame or transparent skirt? I'd stay awy from transparent frames. They seem to create a lot of distraction and they are the hardest to find when dropped to the bottom. In my experience, black skirts work best for hunters that like to peer into dark holes. They are poor for pictures...ie: when you shoot a photo of someone wearing a black skirt mask it is hard to see their face and eyes.

Pesonally I prefer a clear skirt and a tri-view mask and a bright frame for the best visibility.

A black skirt mask is nice for a couple reasons. The first being that it blocks distracting reflections you sometimes get diving shallow on a bright day. The second is that it doesn't show the discoloration clear skirts can get from being in contact with neoprene. The gray skirt you refer to is similar then to black in these respects.

A clear skirted mask is nice because even though you cannot see a wider field of vision, you can be aware of movement way out to the sides. Quite often you can tell a buddy is there without having to turn your head. This can be a great advantage. A previous poster is correct in avoiding clear frames as this can make a mask impossible to find....even in a rinse tank!

I had a Mares Liquid Skin mask to try, and although the fit and field of vision were great, the soft skirt seemed to collapse a little around my nose. (not an equalization issue!) No big deal, but it was a little distracting.

Sorry double post...@#$% internet connection!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom