Transpac XT + SS backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at the Transpac XT harness and want to know if I can mount a SS Backplate to it. If so, where? Is it simply mounted between the harness and wing, or would I need to disassemble the harness a bit and install it between the lumbar pad and harness?

I can't find a clear answer to these questions anywhere and Im trying to decide between the Transpac XT and OMS IQ. There's a lot I like about the TransPac system, so I'm eager for answers. Thanks.

why would you want to? It is not designed or it, but you could technically sex bolt it to the outside of the transpac, but there is no reason to. If you need the weight there are other ways to do it with the transpac, alternatively you can put the transplate harness on a backplate.

The Transpac is designed to be used without a plate. If you are looking to have a SS BP the Transplate system is what you are looking for as mentioned earlier.

Perhaps the TransPlate with a lumbar pad is a better choice?

better choice for what? If you're diving with any wetsuits at all, you don't need the padding. I own a Transpac and love it, but wouldn't recommend them to most people because for backmount the stainless plates work a lot better for most things.

I'm looking at the Transpac XT harness and want to know if I can mount a SS Backplate to it. If so, where? Is it simply mounted between the harness and wing, or would I need to disassemble the harness a bit and install it between the lumbar pad and harness?

I can't find a clear answer to these questions anywhere and Im trying to decide between the Transpac XT and OMS IQ. There's a lot I like about the TransPac system, so I'm eager for answers. Thanks.

Hi DiveMaven,
As mentioned by some of the other posters, the TransPac is not really designed for diving with a steel plate. If you are set on absolutely having a steel plate, then the TransPlate Harness and Backplate Comfort Pad would be the way to go. The TransPlate harness gives you the features, comfort, and adjustability of a TransPac on a steel plate.

The TransPac was designed for exploration and performs great with singles, doubles, sidemount, or rebreather. If you are diving singles the TransPac is the preferred option for most people. The only reason to go with a steel backplate is if you need the extra weight or need to lessen the weight carried in pockets or belt.

Hope this helps some.

Safe Diving,
Jared

Hi Jared,

THANK you so much for the detailed answer to my questions. There is inconsistent information on the Internet, which is why I asked here. I'm going to go with the TransPlate based on your explanation.

hold off buying the back pad if you are diving with an exposure suit. You won't need it. If for some reason you decide you do, you can purchase later, but if you have even a 3mm shorty or something on, you won't need the padding. Also consider getting a one piece harness first with the plate of your choice and if you decide later that you want the comfort harness, then buy a Transplate which is universal on every backplate I've seen.

Agree with tbone1004. I find a backplate/harness very comfortable with a little as a 3 mm wetsuit on.

Back
Top Bottom