Transpac II vs Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPEEDSTER

Reaction score
Ok, so I might be asking a stupid question, but I've been away from diving for a little while, and just now getting into it again. I am confused on BC selection. The transpac seems to have a good following, but the tech divers all seem to swear by the Halcyon stuff. The transpac is available with a backplate, but it seems most dive without one. Why is that, and which would you choose between the t/p and halcyon's stuff? BTW, I haven't had one person recommend anything over the t/p when in a dive shop, why is that? Thanks in advance for the help.

-Mike

Originally posted by SPEEDSTER
BTW, I haven't had one person recommend anything over the t/p when in a dive shop, why is that?
-Mike

Probably because the shop sells Transpacs...

Personaly, I dive and prefer a BP/Wing. But don't confuse BP/Wing with Halcyon, there are lots of other people and companies who make backplates and wings.

The simplicity and efficiency of a BP/harness/wing can't be matched by anything out there. It's not as shnazzy looking as the "tech" BC's out there, but for efficiency, simplicity, durability, and adaptability (the stuff that actually matters), the Halcyon BP/wings can't be beat. If money is an issue, you can go with a Fred T plate and harness kit, buy a Halcyon wing, and assemble it all yourself.

Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
The simplicity and efficiency of a BP/harness/wing can't be matched by anything out there. It's not as shnazzy looking as the "tech" BC's out there, but for efficiency, simplicity, durability, and adaptability (the stuff that actually matters), the Halcyon BP/wings can't be beat. If money is an issue, you can go with a Fred T plate and harness kit, buy a Halcyon wing, and assemble it all yourself.

I echo LY's sentiments, but want to make a clarification.

Even *IF* money isn't an issue, I'd recommend FredT's setup. I have his heavy STA, and compared to my Halcyon wing, his stuff is built better. The *only* advantage to the Halcyon setup is that you don't have your own harness, but the overall quality of Fred's stuff is higher, in my opinion.

Nate

I don't believe he has a site, but he does have a price sheet and description of his products. He's on here once in a while, but his e-mail is ftagge@goldinc.com. Just e-mail him for the brochure.

Good luck.

Mike

I had to make a choice between them both & went for TP2 for one reason it was lighter & ezzzie to take away on trips.
OK that two.

Back
Top Bottom