Transition from pool to OW

Biggest change going from confined water to open water (multiple choices allowed)

• Where are the nice tile sides?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • We're going how deep?!?!

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Help! I'm being attacked by a wetsuit!

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Everything's so much heavier.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I think I'm going to be sick.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I can't see/what's this stuff floating around?

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • How'd I end up this far from the boat without moving?

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 30 41.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For some of you, it was probably a long time ago, but take a trip down memory lane.... What was the biggest change you found about going from confined water to open water, aside from finally seeing cool stuff?

If you choose "other", please post and tell everybody what it is.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I couldn't see (viz was like 20 if no one was kicking up the bottom) and I was FREEZING! It was raining cats and dogs at the surface and was cold...and it wasn't much warmer below! I was VERY glad that I had bought my own 7mm instead of having to rent worn out farmer john suits...because it kept me warmer than everyone else! The wetsuit didn't kill me because I wore a 3mm in the pool since I knew that I'd be wearing one whenever diving...no matter how warm the water is (I dread the idea of getting burned or stung!)...and so that I could learn how the wetsuit effects your buoyancy.

I couldnt wait to get out of the pool! it was cramped!

Well, on mine, the last two OW dives were done with 1 to 2 ft vis, so it was quite the change. I had about 12 ft vis on my first OW dives.

The biggest "change" was learning first hand about 'clines and how abrupt they are... the training platform was right at the 'cline, so dropping below it by even 6 inches took me into water MUCH colder than I was used to (in the 50's if I recall correctly). The horrible vis I expected (living in the land of muckdiving).

My first time on SCUBA was in OW, so I can't really speak from personal experience on this, but.......

As a DC, the biggest issue I saw in the transition was getting used to the rubber... Gloves and hoods being the biggest issue. From the 87 degree pool with no exposure protection to a 7mil suit, thick gloves and a thick hood in <60 degree water is a lot to cope with. In comparison, mobility, visibility, dexterity and tactile feedback are quite different.

As an instructor, I've taken to adding hood and gloves to all pool sessions and it has made a huge difference. The biggest adjustment I see now relates to visibility and temperature.

COLD!!!

Pool = WARM

Puget Sound = COLD!!!

We just did ours this weekend and the vis was about 3 ft the first time we went down. That was definitely different.

I went from pool to 84 degree clear blue water. My biggest changes were:

"Ugh, salt water tastes nasty"

and

"My eyes!!! They burn!!!" after my mask removal skill.

we had this french chick in our class - in the pool she wore this very abbreviated bikini bottom ...... following her around was worth the price of the course - when we went to open water, all of us went to full wetsuits.... pool better.

The cold water on my face took a few seconds to get used to. Once my face was numb it was better!

Back
Top Bottom