Transfill Whip??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpetro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a way to transfer air from tank to tank. I routinely have over 1000 psi left in a tank after a shallow dive and would like to top off from another tank, instead of driving to the LDS, emptying out the nitrox, and refilling the whole thing. Is a tranfill whip the tool to use? Would I be able to get a lot out of a tank, or would it just make the 2 tanks the same PSI?:confused:

If one tank is full and one is not they will reach a state of equilibrium.

This is true no matter the pressure rating but if you had a couple high pressure tanks you could cascade. It still isn't worth it when you could just bring another tank on the boat.

You could also look for a shop that stick blends nitrox so you wouldn't have to dump gas.

This won't save you any money though because most shops are still going to charge you for a fill.

Last edited:
I'm about to buy a booster, so once again
it's no petrol or food or power for a while

or beer

A transfill whip lets you move gas from a tank of higher pressure to a tank of lower pressure. Typical applications for a whip are to equalize pressure, or to add some oxygen, or helium, as a step in making nitrox or trimix. To move gas from a tank of lower pressure to tank with higher pressure you need some sort of compressor. A booster is one type of compressor.

I'm about to buy a booster, so once again
it's no petrol or food or power for a while

or beer

Well at least you can use the entire bank of He or O2 :)

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought. It's not so much the cost of the fill, it's more the hassle of going to the shop, waiting for the tank to drain (cuz I've been bitched at for draining on my way in, but WTFever) and the waiting for the blend to be filled. Was looking for an option, but no such luck.

I like to use them for topping off my low pressure tanks. A lot of times the shops are hesitant to fill older LP72's with anything but 2250, (these tanks look really old man!), and by the time I get home they've cooled off a bit and they might only have 2000 or so in them. So, I take one of my HP119's, hook up a transfill whip and top them all off to around 2500, then I use that 119 for a shallower dive where I don't really need that much air.

I use an old twin manifold that was made to connect two tanks with K valves to transfer air between tanks. This requires that a regulator also be hooked up so I use that to see the pressure in either tank by shutting the valve on the other. I use it to top off LP tanks and fill bail out bottles.

I think I need Co2 to get a good head on the beer
however when draining tanks I like to do it really
slow coz if you cold stuff it gets stiff and hardens

I think in this application that outcome is no good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom