Trans Pacific Airline decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vertaqua

Reaction score
Whats everybody's favorite airline to go from the us to asia. I'm going to Komodo in 07 and I'm starting to look at air lines. The two that interested me the most were singapore airlines and continental airlines.

Singapore. By a long shot. All their Nintendo's work. ;-)

And if you're male, therre are the flight attendants.

And for everybody, the food's great. (Well, relatively speaking).

I've had nice rides on continental and thai and china eastern too though.

The way I figure it, a 747 us a 747. I'm taking something and sleeping the whole way anyway . . .so I just get the cheapest flight and use the extra money for an extra dive or two at my destination. It may depend more on the connections out of singapore, that's what I'd look at first.

I got lucky on one trip and the cheapest flight was singapore airlines - shweet!

That's all I know.
Taxgeek

Singapore, Cathay, Korea, China. All fine. 1st 3 are top notch. No comparison to American carriers. We came back last week on Cathay from K. L.

vertaqua:
Whats everybody's favorite airline to go from the us to asia. I'm going to Komodo in 07 and I'm starting to look at air lines. The two that interested me the most were singapore airlines and continental airlines.

As a rule of thumb, for the very long-haul routes, US carriers are less comfortable overall than Asian and European carriers. I travel back and forth from Asia to North and South America three or four times a year, and I always prefer the Asian carriers for the trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific routes; if I can't get those, I'll go with KLM. The service is better, the food is better, the entertainment systems are better. Singapore Airlines is one of the cream of the crop.

On my flight from US to Singapore on Singapore Airlines we had Video on demand in Economy class.

60 movies (includes oldies) and 120 TV Shows (also oldies like Mork and Mindy). Plus tons of music and other things. Makes a big difference on a long flight, You can stop and start. Unfortunately no frequent flyer miles for economy. Video on demand made the flight so much easy to bear. Watch three or four movies and you are half way there.

Check out Cathay Pacific. They offer a deal of the month which can be a great value and offers a stop over both directions in Hong Kong. The food was great with a variety of types to preselect which on a long haul helps to make it more enjoyable (I had the Indian menus). The attendants were very helpful as well. Downside was that the power source to be able to plug in a laptop didn't seem to work. I used seatguru.com to select better seats to make economy abit more comfortable.

vertaqua:

Travelling to a dive destination in SE Asia from N America will almost certainly require a connection to a remote or regional airport. For easy and frequent connection to these airports, Kuala Lumpur via Malaysia Airlines is an attractive option as one can then connect to the final destination via Air Asia which provides cheap and frequent connections to the smaller regional airports.

Malaysia Airlines operate new 747's and 777's with personal screens for economy seats and have consistently been voted among the top for business class service.

Air Asia is offering incredibly low cost fares from Kuala Lumpur to Bali and other dive destinations. I have managed to book zero fare round trips to Phuket in March and Bali in June !!! Zero fares means I pay only the airport taxes ( approx $36 for KL/Bali/KL -3.5 hours flight time each way) !!!! Check out :

www.airasia.com

A point to note is that Air Asia baggage allowance is only 15 kgs. However, excess baggage is charged at only approx $1.50 per kg. so considering the savings in fares, paying for an additional 10 Kg's is worth it. my personal dive gear, without photography gear weigh approx. 10 Kg's

Kuala Lumpur is also a great city to break a long journey where 5 star hotels cost less than $100 and 4 star hotels cost between $50 to $75 !!!!

Thanks for the link to the Air Asia web site. I wasn't familiar with their service and they do seem to have some great pricing.

If you like crappy food, rude air hostesses and really cramped seating I recommend China Eastern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom