training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elfn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to diving, did my OW a month ago. I have a dive trip planned to vancouver BC for august. (hoping to have at least another couple dives in before then) I was wondering if anyone has recommendations of whether to do AOW before then or maybe just take the Deep Specialty to increase my ability to enjoy the trip.

As a new diver I'm not looking to overcome my limits(personal or OW) but I also don't want to be worrying about depth when I could be just enjoying myself.

Any suggestions?

Greetings elfn and welcome to the underwater world and to the board.

You are going to get 2 basic types of replies to this, so i will try to sum them both up and maybe get you a decent reply right off the bat, but as I am typing, others may post...

First type: The camp of 'Do AOW now to get some more time with an instructor to help you'. if I understand you correctly, you have just finished OW and are looking to do some diving - you really don't know what you don't know but you are asking questions - so that is a good thing. If you take AOW now, just remember that you are paying an istructor for their time, use it wisely. Ask EVERYTHING you can think of, ask them to help you with things like trim, bouyancy, hovering techniques, gas management - you name it. This is YOUR time with them - make them earn you money. The good ones will enjoy it and you will get a LOT out of it.

The second camp is going to say, You should dive some more first, realize what you need to work on, and THEN go AOW to address specific issues. Then you can ask very specific questions to that instructor and get specific answers. This is also a great idea so your options are honestly one of personal preference.

Basically, the most important thing is to USE THAT INSTRUCTOR. Do not let them just give you the 4 or 5 dives, and say, here's your card - get them to work for you.

As far as the deep speciality goes, perhaps you should see what is in the first 100 feet before going for the next 40 or so? Get comfortable being in the water, managing things and appreciating the shallow world - or, if you are already comfortable, then hey, go for it.

Again, personal choice - In my opinion and MY experience, I was not ready for deep until I had done several more dives - but I am different than you.

Good luck with whatever you choose. And again, welcome.

This topic is often debated in ScubaBoard, and many people feel very strongly one way or the other. You will no doubt get contrasting points of view in this thread, and the arguments in favor of each side will not lead you to a clear-cut decision.

There was an interesting thread a while ago which pointed out an irony. Decades ago scuba instruction leading to OW certification as very long and inclusive of skills now taught in more advanced classes. That changed to the way almost all agencies teach now--learn enough basic skills to be a safe diver in the environment in which you were trained and then learn more advanced skills when you want to. Some people are critical of that change, arguing vigorously that an initial OW course should still include all the skills now taught in the more advanced classes. Ironically, some of those same people will argue just as vehemently that divers should not take the more advanced classes until they have completed a large number of general experience dives. It seems to some (including me) that they passionately believe in both sides of the argument.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the AOW class. Those extra dives with an instructor will only help. I took my AOW immediately after my OW, and it was a good decision for me.

If the conditions & equipment needed to dive in Vancouver's local environment are similar or same as those in which you trained in, I would find a buddy and dive within your limits and experience. If you want to dive the artificial reef wrecks then you will need deep experience (and a drysuit imo). Shore diving Porteau Cove is a OW training ground, very well mapped, controlled bottom, easy to navigate, great place to get in the water your first few times as a certified diver (weather/seas cooperating)

My buddy (currently taking rescue)and I are booked on a charter 2 days out of horseshoe bay, and 2 days out of nanaimo. I did my OW in calgary in 48degrees and if I do AOW it will be out at Banff most likely, same temp but depth 50-80. I just want to be prepared and comfortable.

I don't think it matters whether go for AOW right away or get in some diving first. I did the former. If you get in some diving first be sure not to exceed your abilities, depth, and try to buddy with someone experienced, especially at the sites you choose. As mentioned, ask your AOW instructor anything you can think of. I would hold off on the Deep- I did mine with about 70 dives and was comfortable going down there.

As a new diver I'm not looking to overcome my limits(personal or OW) but I also don't want to be worrying about depth when I could be just enjoying myself.

My suggestion is to check with the charter company and ask what their typical dive profiles look like.

One other observation: one always has to be cognizant of their depth. Different gas mixes have different max depths, depth relates to deco obligations, depth relates to the risk of narcosis and depth relates to gas consumption. The very good news: you can be aware of depth, gas usage and have a good time! Sort of like driving a car...

Enjoy your trip!

I generally tell both friends and customers alike the same thing when asked this. It's up to you and your comfort level with the knowledge you've obtained. The advantage of an AOW class right after, or at least soon after your Openwater class is exactly as has been stated. A few more dives under the supervision of an instructor.

It's a great time to get more useful tips on buoyancy as well as having some questions answered that may have come up in the course of your training. It's a great time to put a few tips given to a test and also see what your instructor thinks. Most instructors, while still very cautious with you, will treat you more like a diver and less like somebody in need of very close "babysitting" and can spend more time introducing you to some new skills that will be very useful in the long run.

The advanced class is also a fun way to get some quick tips to get you started on activities you may have interest in underwater or is common to the area you dive. Since some of your dives are "elective" types of dives, you can get some tips on underwater photo, drift diving, or maybe unique underwater life unique to your region for example.

Last edited:
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but glancing through the thread I didn't see anyone state this yet. You must have AOW before you can take the Deep Specialty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom