Training Sequence Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZzzKing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Okay, so I have been telling my 14YO since she has been old enough to walk that she wants to be a marine biologist. My 10YO has been told the same. :)

So, as of this past summer, they are both Junior OW Divers. The 14YO needs to starting to look at college so I am trying to help her chart a course of study and training to maximize her chances of being accepted into the college of her choice in some sort of marine sciences type study. We are still a couple of years out from having to do the same with the boy.

My LDS suggested Advanced Open Water for my daughter this summer when she turns 15 rather than pay $50 for a new card that says Open Water Diver but doesn't offer any additional benefit. Other obvious classes would be Rescue Diver and Nitrox. If she wants to go into marine sciences, what would be next? Pursuing Dive Master seems to be down the path of "dive professional" but not necessarily scientific pursuit. Would a GUE type fundamentals class be of more use due to their emphasis on diving in a team? Proficiency in underwater photography seems like it would be of benefit also.

A lot of questions but any advice or insight would be appreciated from the scientific research point of view. Thanks all.

I agree that an AOW class would be a better idea than ponying up $50 for a new card. Indeed the DiveMaster/Instructor route is the person who wants to do SCUBA as a profession. It's not going to be that helpful for the biologist who uses it as a tool for their job. Indeed just getting the AOW/rescue/nitrox or GUE fundies would be far more helpful. What they need to be able do is be solid divers and handle task loading so that they are proficient at doing other things while diving.

On the college front, feel free to PM. I'm a professor of biology, so I would be happy to discuss with you things you and your kids should be thinking about.

Their math, science, bio, and early efforts at research, done out of the water, are likely far more important than their dive skills. Many marine biologists do not dive, between drones, subs, sub tidal work, or environmental studies.

A similar question was asked a bit ago about whether learning a rebreather would help. Two of us tried to answer the bio vs dive level question. The rest of that thread is a disagreement about rebreathers early or not.
Should I try a rebreather? post 34.
Should I try a rebreather? post 54

I assist in our university scientific dive program, as do some others here in theirs:
* Yes, just skip the Adult OW card.
* Nitrox is always useful.
* Rescue would be a key class!! And it would show some focus on others on the team, a key thing in science.
Much of what we teach is rescue, accident management, safety. That makes a better diver, but it also demonstrates a responsible field scientist and some maturity.
* Fundies level trim and control would be great.... And I applaud all divers getting that skill early so they are safer, etc. But quite that level is not really needed. And it is not something that would show up on her application. In the sense that I think those reading it will not understand it. She is applying to learn to be a scientist.
* Sure, if she finds some cool stuff to photo, then she can put that in her app. But with a focus on the science. And the detail oriented nature of her field study. Or as early enthusiastic efforts at marine bio. The diving and the photo themselves were just tools. Tools she took initiative to learn, which is good. But tools for the science.
* I would not worry about Dive Master. There is a bit of team lead to dive master, but they can get that without the need for teaching and demonstrating skills. And turning pro caries extra responsibilities. Far better to focus that effort on their science.

I would PM Prof. Ryan. I can infer things from being a PhD candidate in computer science, but they'll have served on bio selection committees.

MichaelMc - thanks for the suggestions. I will try to contact Prof Ryan. I agree that her acing her academics is most important. I am also trying to get her involved in volunteer work at our local aquarium and helping maintain Aqurena Spring in Centeral Texas. That would be good introductions to working with marine animals and the people who study them.

JackD342 - Scuba Summer Camp would be fun. I know of one in Florida. I will have to do some research there.

Thanks guys.

ZzzKing, Both of those sound like good ideas. Good luck to you all.

I'm jumping in late, sorry. I'm a third year undergrad in the US studying marine biology. It's awesome that you've been able to get your kids an early jump on diving, and looking for volunteering opportunities is a great start. Some areas have high school internship opportunities that can earn credit for classes or college or even a cash stipend. That could also be good to look out for.

Diving wise, my route was OW - AOW - Rescue - AAUS Scientific Diver. The latter is a course given by my university and seems to be the base standard for US universities to be able to do research with. The AAUS class required me to have or concurrently get my Rescue cert, First Aid, CPR, Emergency O2, and AED certifications. I was lucky enough to get all of those as a single discounted package at the same time (less than $700 US for all five certs including 30 hrs dive time and all gear rental), but I'm not sure that that is common. My university bundles the Nitrox and AAUS scientific diver certs together, too. I can't speak to GUE, but it seems that in the US, universities (as far as I've seen) require AAUS certification. Divemaster is handy for extra experience, but by and large I haven't seen that be a big requirement yet for research diving. That said, some of the other divers in my AAUS class are currently doing their Divemaster.

Underwater photography is used for some research underwater, but not all. It would be good for her to learn to establish good buoyancy and dive habits while dealing with the camera, and I found that taking photos underwater also made me more familiar and comfortable with different positions just to get different shots, like being completely vertical upside down to get a good pic of an eel. Up to you and her though.

TL:DR: Rescue will be a necessity for advanced diving. It's also just a good idea. First aid, CPR, emergency O2, and AED certs are usually required with the Rescue. Divemaster is nice but I've never yet seen it be required. In the states, universities seem to prefer/require AAUS Scientific Diver certification. Nitrox can be taken before the AAUS but the uni might include it with the AAUS cert.

Feel free to PM me about college and marine bio questions! I hope this helped

I'm not sure if you have the similar agencies in the USA.
But there are marine conservation groups in the UK. They do volunteer marine life surveys during holiday periods at the coast. Shore based. It helps learn marine life identification, survey techniques etc. For divers there are also surveys.

Organisations like Coral Cay exist as well, these are targeted to Scuba Divers. We also have the Adventure training groups that also do similar things. But there is a minimum age.

As has been stated, good academic ability is needed. Maths and the Sciences. But, practical experience is also prized, so the volunteer groups are worth adding to the CV is worth while.
As with any survey, photographic skills are a practical benefit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom