Training platform help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm helping to develope a new dive area. I'm trying to come up with plans for a training platform. Any ideas or plans?

Not sure if this helps you.... are local training lake has a number of training platform basically because its mud at the bottom and you can imagine what trainees do to that...

Each platform has timber sheeting over a scaffold frame... they are about 10ft * 10ft with no obstructions, they are about 4-5ft off the bottom so you can swim under and its a home for the fish to hangout... A nice feature is a coloured buoy and shot line running from the centre of the platform ... good for surface swims out to the platform and practicing ascent/descents.. i'll try and get some pictures.. but its a bit cold at the mo!

Where | Wraysbury Dive Centre

I'm helping to develope a new dive area. I'm trying to come up with plans for a training platform. Any ideas or plans?

Most of the ones I've seen around here are made of zinc plated steel or aluminium.

I guess there's the obvious stuff like getting the size and depth right. It's not uncommon for 6 or 8 divers to be on such a platform at once. During the check out dives you will need to do fin-pivots on it, which means that the student (including fins) will need to be able to lay flat on it and perform the fin pivot with enough room for the instructor to remain in front of the student. That should give you some idea of how big it really should be.

As for depths. It will need to be anchored at a minimum depth of about 7 metres and a maximum depth of about 9 or 10 because the CESA needs to be performed from a depth of 6-9 metres. If you go for the deeper end of that then you might consider putting up two platforms. One at 9 or 10 metres for teh CESA and for practicing descents etc and one at about 5 metres, which is the minimum recommended depth to perform other bottom skills. If the platform is anchored too deeply (like at 10 metres) then it really limits the size of the group that one instructor can handle because of air-consumption limitations. A happy medium is 7 metres.

It would also be handy if it's intended to be used for the OW course that (depth permitting) it's at least 50 metres in a straight line from a good entry point. This makes it easy for instructors to use the buoy as a reference point for the surface skills like surface swimming with a compass.

Speaking of which, it will need to be marked with a buoy. If you anchor the buoy to the platform itself then bad weather (lots of wind and waves) will cause the buoy to tear the platform apart. The buoy needs to be anchored *beside* the platform, not *to* it. This is a common mistake. Also if you're using rope to attach the buoy then I seem to recall that there was a directive in the old standards (not sure about the new version) regarding the minimum size of the rope. This was related to the CESA skill as well IIRC.

Does that help give you some ideas?

R..

That's great help. I'm not sure what will be used, most of the materials will have to be donated or bought by me. This is a tough deal since the entire project is by volunteers and donated items. The state won't put any money into it.

i would like to use metal but it will probably be wood. Should I use pressure treated? I just wonder about harm to the environment.

I'm planning on 10'x10' and putting one at 10' and one at about 30'.
Many more ideas, send them to me.

I haven't seen too many frames made out of wood, most are made out of metal and a few out of PVC. I have seen decks made from plastic lattice, as already mentioned, chain link fencing, metal grating, old trampoline mat, pvc sheeting with holes drill so allow bubbles can escape.

If you want it to last, build it to last from the begining. Nothing sucks more than doing platform repairs before you put your class on it.

Find a pontoon boat that is due for the scrap heap. remove what you do not need/want and move to your location. Pull the drain plugs, guide into place. I would watch craigslist and any local classified papers for pontoons. Also go the the local boat dealers where you may find one. If the plywood deck is shot then you could find some used chain link fence, or buy some hog panels at the TSC, and the whole thing would still be pretty cheap.

the platform my instructor uses was done this way.

Jerry

The pontoon idea is nice, but the KY State arks probably won't le me do that. They will use the argument that it isn't Environmentaly friendly. Plus I looking at ideas that I can possibly finish the construction near the water, if not in the water.

I have seen several pictures online that show submerged platforms made out of wood, but I am not sure if they will even let me use treated lumber. I do like the idea of chain link for it, and possibly metal or PVC tubing for the frame.

How big should a platform be? 10x10?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom