Training Plaform?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
It seems some instructors find that teaching students actual buoyancy control requires too much time and effort, so they teach them to assume the kneeling position when performing the basic problem-solving skills. A platform to do this on helps to prevent the silt-outs a pod of such kneelers inevitably creates :D

Actually the Kneeling position is safer with Basic OW students. First time in Open water can be very traumatic for some and if they panic its easier to grab them and render assistance when they are verticle vs horizontal....also the eye to eye contact and body language is easier to read when the basic skills are being performed. Last thing you want is a student blowing to the surface because they panic.

Once those skills are demonstrated they should go horizontal and figure out their bouyancy...remember....they are used to practicing bouyancy in pools....max depth they are accustom to is like 12ft....maybe....takes some getting used too..then its off the platform and they should remain horizontal for the the rest of their dive...of course this all depends on the instructors....

Dr. Frankenmule:
Dang Randy,
You sure can whip out some numbers.....
Pretty impressive, PE or not.......

I agree!
This is definately not a one person project (underwater stuff). You need a small crew to pull this off. BUT, I think you already knew that.
The rest of the rhetoric is really unjust though. KSS. Keep it simple ummmm Sir.... Yeah, that's it...

Greg

Greg and all,

You are correct, the rest of the rhetoric was uncalled for. I do hereby apologize to the group.

And Greg, thanks!

Randy

your welcome.
Let me know how it goes. Building stuff is one of the things I thrive on.

Snowbear:
Oh. For some reason I always thought neutrally buoyant was safer. But I'm not an instructor, so what do I know :06:
And a horizontal, neutrally bouyant position keeps students form rocketing to the surface before you can control them because it takes some time for the panicing student to get into a head-up position to head for the surface, buying you valuable time. A horizontal position also makes it easier to maintain a specific depth in the water, because you present a greater cross section to moving up and down versus a vertically-trimmed diver. A horizontal, neutrally bouyant position in the water also keeps "the split" from happening when you leave the platform for the tour (half the class heads for the surface, the other half heads for the bottom).

But, alas, if all your training in the pool is being done kneeling on the bottom, you need something like this for open water, which completely nullifies the concept of open water.

Most instructors these days have little skill over and above an OW student, so a platform is for them as much as the students.

At worst, all you should need is a single anchored line with a visual reference that the students can look at to help with their vertical positioning, that's all.

Roak

roakey:
And a horizontal, neutrally bouyant position keeps students form rocketing to the surface before you can control them because it takes some time for the panicing student to get into a head-up position to head for the surface, buying you valuable time. A horizontal position also makes it easier to maintain a specific depth in the water, because you present a greater cross section to moving up and down versus a vertically-trimmed diver. A horizontal, neutrally bouyant position in the water also keeps "the split" from happening when you leave the platform for the tour (half the class heads for the surface, the other half heads for the bottom).

But, alas, if all your training in the pool is being done kneeling on the bottom, you need something like this for open water, which completely nullifies the concept of open water.

Most instructors these days have little skill over and above an OW student, so a platform is for them as much as the students.

At worst, all you should need is a single anchored line with a visual reference that the students can look at to help with their vertical positioning, that's all.

Roak

Well, take a student into open water for the first time, it also being their first time in a full wetsuit.....a rented 6mm one at that... and further task load them by making them remain neutral at 15 feet as they perform their tasks in 55 degree water with limited vis......hmmmm....I'd rather have em negative on their knees on a platform....its a lot harder to blow that way...Its just safer to test9 that way...like I said before after the basic drills....Horizontal and neutral...

Now down where the water is warm and a 2mm shorty will suffice that would be a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone...

Now if you did all your original Basic OW certification skills neutral in a horizontal position...kudos....if you were in a nice cold dark quarry...double kudos....

roakey:

Roak
one more thing....as moderator's shouldnt you and snowbear moderate instead of blasting agencies and scaring newbies away from this site and advancing in diving with your "this is how it should be done if not you suck as a diver and as an instructor"...Im not trolling here, not trying to pick a fight and no flames intended, but this board is full of negativity any time someone asks a question that may sound very simple and silly to some but interesting as hell to others...isnt that what this board is for? To learn, share and develop? Or is it to bash, berate and preach?

So I ask...as moderators shouldnt you be roll models for us? Or do you become a moderator by the amount of posts you make?

I have been doing some deck construction with plastic lumber. This is recycled stuff and is sized like conventional lumber. It is inorgnic (and wont rot) and floats somewhat (though less than plain wood). You work with this like wood, and cut with a saw. Fasten with screws and predrilled holes. Maybe this is useful for building the platform?

Back
Top Bottom