Training for drysuit newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmds

Registered
Reaction score
I've just purchased my first drysuit used from a scubaboard member (OS systems Nautilas) and had a few questions you experienced drysuiters can answer for me:

1. The suit fits great other than the fact that the legs are too long and bunch up a little, is this going to be a problem?

2. I would like to get trained to use the suit but I'm not sure I want to go the PADI route to use the suit as bouancy control. I've also just got my DIR fundamentals book and DVD and this is a no-no according to them and I'm going to be switching to BP, harness wings and doubles this next spring for diving in Lake Erie and taking the DIR fundamentals class(hopefully next spring). What is your best suggestion?

3. I probably get someone from the local scuba club to show me and do dives with me if I begged one of them.

4. What type of undergarment should I use (I'm a very warm person and do not get cold easily) for diving in warm 60-70 degree water and colder 45-60 degree water?

Your help on these issues is greatlly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

1. Maybe, but it wasn't a problem for me with my first (used) drysuit.
2. Nothing wrong with the PADI training. You should also know how to use the suit as a BC for back-up purposes anyway. Whichever method you learn first, you need to know the other as well. While ice diving this winter my BC LP inflator froze solid--was glad I had had plenty of practice diving with the suit as BC.
3. An experienced DS diver to coach you is invaluable--far better than a certified instructor who has made a dozen dives in a DS.
4. Very personal choice. I wear the 200g Thinsulate for both those temp ranges and am always comfortable. For warmer than 70 I wear cycling tights only, and for colder than 45 I add a set of polartech long johns to the 200 g Thinsulate.

Good luck, and don't be in a hurry. It takes a couple dozen dives to begin to get REALLY confident in your buoyancy and trim in a DS.

theskull

1. Tuck/fold the baggy portion under so it hangs over your boots or booties so the legs end up looking like pants and the neoprene part is not showing. That will take care of the xtra length. Many of us who purchased used or stock sizes and have short legs have to deal with this. Not a problem at all unless it is still way too long even afte you fold it over.

2 and 3. I agree with theskull above. Taking the class with an instructor (IMHO) isn't any better than a friend with experience and the Dick Long dry suit diving book. Will save you money and time doing it with a friend. Diving dry isn't hard at all but it's important to have someone help out the first few times.

4. I use 200 fleece custom fit by softwear by janice. I also add her 300 vest. Nice and toasty. This is a very personal question. Some people are polar bears and some freeze easily like my wife. Overall, I got colder in my dry suit than I thought I would comparing it to the wet suit. Remember, in most cases, more undergarment means more weight though. Thinsulate can help here but may break your budget. Leisure Pro has Bare CT200 thinsulate suits (very toasty) for about 159 bucks. Outstanding price and quality. Try to barrow undergarments but if you can't, you might just have to take a chance and buy something. I highly suggest Softwear by Janice. Custom fit for under 200 bucks! Do a search for it here...Good luck.

Extra fabric in the legs provides a place for air to sit (and expand) and might make your legs and feet more buoyant. This could lead to uncontrolled ascent especially if your new to drysuit diving. I can offer a few suggestions with my limited drysuit experience

- Have the boots removed and re-attached. Removing the excess length. Do the knee guards still cover the knees?
- Purchase some calf gators to cover over the extra fabric and to help control the air flow to the feet.
- ankle weights to keep the feet down.
- dont use the drysuit for buoyancy control.

The training question really comes down to how fast do you want to learn how to use it properly? You can learn on your own, or get someone to help you. Training will have you fully functional in one day, where learning on your own will take longer.

1. Not sure if the Nautilis has attached boots or neoprene socks and rock boots. If socks and boots make sure the socks are not bunched at the toes. Not much effect underwater but a major pain while walking on the surface.

2. I would (did) take a training course for my dry suit. It helped eliminate some of the trial and error learning that I would have went through without the course. BTW it was the PADI course. I dont remember the instructor saying to use the suit for bouyancy but in any event, I am using my bc "mostly" for bouyancy and just enough air in the suit to eliminate squeeze.

3. Diving with others and using it as a learning experience is always a good thing.

4. As mentioned undergarments are a personal decision. I thought I was a warm diver and my first dive in a dry suit was with sweats in Washington. It was my last drysuit dive in sweats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom