Training as instuctor on Koh Tao: good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but was trained from OW through Staff Instructor all on Tao. Not in one go. I started 8 years ago, but when I came back full time in 2007 I went from DMT to OSWI in about 5 months. I've been employed on both coasts of Thailand, and received offers in Indonesia.

That's just me. I have plenty of mates/acquaintances that started and now work on Tao, in Indo, in Egypt, in the Maldives, in Palau, the UK, the States, and the Philippines.

I won't deny that I have had a few arguments with a a few instructors/managers abroad when I go diving on pleasure trips about "Koh Tao Instructors", but they were always over a bottle of vodka and they always ended in laughs. Some of them are the same ones that went on to offer me and other ex-Tao instructors work.

Honestly, I think languages and personality/ethics are FAR more important than where you were trained.

Speaking of, I need to go hit the Rosetta and brush up on my español :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom