Training as instuctor on Koh Tao: good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyuk

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi thanks for reading this thread, im thinking of doing an internship on koh tao or phuket to go from aow to msdt (master scuba diver trainer) some time next year,

but i have heard a couple of times now that if you have been trained and have worked as a divemaster or instructor on koh tao you wont be very employable elsewere in the world, is this true?

i have been told this by people that have no links to koh tao with regards to working there and also are not in any sort of compitition with dive centres there. i.e other dive centres on nearby islands trying to swing me there way, i think it's what is being said on the greatvine

sorry im not trying to get anyone's back up, it's just iv heard from a few different people and im serious about making a carreer out of diving and want the best possible chances of employement and good training, and if it is true where in the world would be the best place to become an msdt when it comes to employability.

thanks again for taking the time to read my thread i really do appreciate it, hope to hear from you soon, cheers jimmy:confused:

but i have heard a couple of times now that if you have been trained and have worked as a divemaster or instructor on koh tao you wont be very employable elsewere in the world, is this true?

I have not heard that before but I suppose it could be because somebody has a vested interest in getting you to do the training elsewhere.

Koh Tao has a mixed reputation as being both a diving mecca or a factory. It very much depends on the person as to whether you love it or hate it. Personally, I am not really a fan but that is just me.

What is without doubt is that there a lot of divers going through Koh Tao and there are some excellent dive schools. Some of the busiest have the training of instructors down to a fine art and you will be kept active with lots of practice helping other instructors and DMs with fun divers and students. This is a good thing!

The only valid reason I can think of why anyone should have such a vendetta against Koh Tao trained instructors is that they are meaning that if you are trained in Koh Tao then you will struggle to find work in areas where the conditions are harsher. Which is fair enough and also true for instructors trained in other parts of Thailand.

I am also curious to hear what other reasons there could be for this opinion. :confused:

I have heard variations on Koh Tao trained divers, whether they be instructor-trained or Open Water divers. Terms such as "zero to hero" (referring to those who arrive on KT, do their OW and stay on to complete their IDC or DM) and "factory produced". It all refers to the vast quantity of certs obtained on KT - which is understandable considering it is an island with a massive diving industry. Also, being on the backpacker route with a holiday atmosphere and a relatively low cost of courses and accommodation, the island is a magnet for those who want to stick round and go further in their diving qualifications. When I did my IE back several years ago in KT, I was one of around 40 new certs that month. With so m any professionals being produced in one place, there will be a fair amount who are: a) Not really serious about continuing; b) Not going to make an effort in the occupation; c) Just not good.

I have to admit I used to wonder about the OW to IE in six months method with dives limited to KT sites. While I did my IDC on KT but it was five years between my OW and IDC and I'd had what I would consider a fairly diverse dive experience and training in different places. But after having worked with many of these fast-track professionals, I'm convinced many of them are competent individuals with a strong sense of professionalism. And I know of many who went on to work in different parts of the world (including northern Europe and North America as well as other "tropical" destinations).

Also, at the risk of sounding age-ist, I would also add that many KT-produced pros are relatively young (a lot of gap years amongst them). While there is nothing wrong with young people obtaining valuable experience and skills, there is a tendency for prospective employers to write them off.

So rather than dismissing everyone trained in a particular place, you have to consider the individual candidate, her/his merits, experience and ability to do the job.

Are the people that say these things about Koh Tao doubting PADI's IE evaluation system? As far as I know, PADI IE's are evaluated the same all over the world.

Look at it this way, because a lot of Koh Tao CD's and a lot of CD's in general in Thailand do teach a lot of IDC's per year, they ahve a very high experience level and also a very high passing rate.

The people who conduct the IEs do so across the entire Asia Pacific region. Instructor Examiners do not operate on a 'local' basis.

What makes you employable is your professionalism, credibility and reputation - along with criteria like language ability, breadth of teaching and diving ability. Where you did your IDC doesn't really factor into it.

Also, at the risk of sounding age-ist, I would also add that many KT-produced pros are relatively young (a lot of gap years amongst them). While there is nothing wrong with young people obtaining valuable experience and skills, there is a tendency for prospective employers to write them off.

That's a good point! and a further ageist comment being that a lot of these young DMs and Instructors (though not all of course) enjoy the high octane lifestyle of a party island like Koh Tao. I am sure that there are plenty of Instructors and DMs who will teach or lead dives still drunk. Thankfully there are very few accidents but when you are responsible for peoples lives then I think this is highly disrespectful.

The people who conduct the IEs do so across the entire Asia Pacific region. Instructor Examiners do not operate on a 'local' basis.

What makes you employable is your professionalism, credibility and reputation - along with criteria like language ability, breadth of teaching and diving ability. Where you did your IDC doesn't really factor into it.

Very well said DD

I completed my DM and IDC and MSDT on Koh Tao and have never been refused a job on this basis. I have worked on both coasts in Thailand, Maldives, Egypt and Honduras. I have returned to Koh Tao and still work here as an instructor.

You will encounter the nay-sayers but strangely most of these are people have never set foot on Koh Tao.....

The points mentioned about regarding examination standards pretty much answer any negativity.

That's a good point! and a further ageist comment being that a lot of these young DMs and Instructors (though not all of course) enjoy the high octane lifestyle of a party island like Koh Tao. I am sure that there are plenty of Instructors and DMs who will teach or lead dives still drunk. Thankfully there are very few accidents but when you are responsible for peoples lives then I think this is highly disrespectful.

You're absolutely right. There are individuals working in the industry with attitudes and conduct unbecoming of a competent professional. This is where the good employers stand out by having a "zero tolerance" attitude toward such employees. On the other hand, I've seen shop owners, managers and CDs (mature adults who should know a lot better) who not only tolerate the hungover staff but join in and lead the revelry on the night before a dive.

thanks guys, good points there, sorry i wasnt being funny just heard that stuff a few times and wanted to get it cleared up.

looks like koh tao's still on... get in

cheers guys, jimmy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom