TRADE - DSS 30 lb wing for 40 lb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even after the OP explains why he wants to trade ? and theres alot of threads about non-ditchable and ditchable weights seems OP knows what he wants.

Anyone is free to ignore my advice, but I am obligated to warn against what I consider unsafe practices.

Tobin

Thank you all for your concern.
I had this rig set up or planned out from the get go.
I probably should have skipped adding the weight plates.
I carry about 6-8 lbs on a belt now.
Carrying 18 lbs. on a belt was my option.
Wet suit 7 mm blues. I add a 7 mm vest and I'm carrying a ton!
I would like a wing that will float my rig.
What make is the 45 lb wing in S.F.???

A medium back plate and harness is about -6 lbs
A regulator is about -2
Weight plates are -8
An empty 3180 faber 120 is ~-7.5
Weight belt -8

Total ballast ~32 lbs

If your exposure suit is really 32 lbs positive you do need a larger wing, but I would still recommend having a good portion of your ballast configured as ditchable.

A 32 lbs positive 7 mm suit is very unusual. 7mm suits are typically 18 ~ 24 positive.

A Larger wing is never the right solution to being over weighted......

Tobin

Thanks, Tobin.
I was using this set up when we dove together.
From what you and Jeff told me at the time I was good with less ditch weight and adding the back plate weight.
I am still diving with the Bare Arctic 7mm with 7mm hooded vest.
I really cork in it.
I have the long plate and plate weights as well.
H valve.
I carry 8 on my belt.
I discovered after the addition of the plates that my wing will not float the set up when the tank is full.

So, lose the plates and add to the belt??

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks, Tobin.
I was using this set up when we dove together.
From what you and Jeff told me at the time I was good with less ditch weight and adding the back plate weight.
I am still diving with the Bare Arctic 7mm with 7mm hooded vest.
I really cork in it.
I have the long plate and plate weights as well.
H valve.
I carry 8 on my belt.
I discovered after the addition of the plates that my wing will not float the set up when the tank is full.

So, lose the plates and add to the belt??

Thanks,
Michael

Mike,

If your suit is more than 30 lbs positive you need a larger wing regardless of how you configure your ballast.

If it's less than 30 lbs positive and you put some of your ballast on your person (weight belt) and some on your rig it's possible to use the 30 you have.

The DSS long Pattern Plate and harness is about -8 lbs and the long pattern weight plates are ~10 lbs a pair. Add a regulator and full 3180 faber 120 and your rig will be about -36 lbs. It will provide about 26 lbs of ballast with an empty cylinder.

If you are now using that + 8 lbs on your a belt it implies you suit is ~34 lbs positive.

Tobin

Tobin, I am probably missing something but I do not see where the bouyancy of the OP comes into play with your calculations.

Just a question, but could it be the wing still has air in it when performing the weight check at 500 psi.

I have a different plate with added weight and a Worthington HP130. If I do not fill the wing until the OPV purges the rig will sink. I wear a drysuit though, so I have redundancy.

I am looking for a cost effective 30lb wing also...in other words not new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom