Unknown tourist diver dead after 62m dive - update Brazil, not portugal

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both the number of cards and the number of dives are completely irrelevant. I have over 1k dives on the same exact dive site in benign conditions and I also have a couple rebreather certs. I would still die if I tried to do a 2km cave penetration as the totality of my previous experience had nothing to do with a cave dive.

planned deco or bounce dive?
I understand this specific dive being a planned deco dive, at least the deceased conducting his own deco dive.
I’m phrasing it that way to contrast what is commonly done there, as apparently dives are routinely conducted there with a sort of “discover tech dive”, meaning they take non tech divers, placed on large single tank, with a dedicated (tech?) DM as guide and conducting the guided divers deco schedule as well as carrying their deco bottle.
It was difficult for many to understand how inappropriate that was when I tried pointing it out, a common response was “they’ve been doing it for X long and never had a problem”.

I’m seeing a lot of comments such as “where was the DM?” about this incident, from people who are reporting they’ve done this dive in the past, gives you an idea of how things are done and unfortunately how many have this perception of what is acceptably safe and appropriate.

@JMarc except its not uncommon for people to attempt to do bounce dives for personal depth records. i've met some who have done 75m to 80m on a single al80 and survived, but obviously that is basically a disaster waiting to happen. so the question needed to be asked for this incident whether it was foreseeable or not.

I was in Lunarfins Scuba Club meeting in League City, Texas, few days ago listening to members sharing their recent dive trip experience. One member mentioned about what happened during diving Blue Hole in Belize. The plan was to descend to 130 feet to see stalactites (that were formed during previous ice age, when the sea level was probably 150-200 feet below the present sea level), hung around there for 2-3 minutes and ascended up when the NDL went to zero (I’ve done it before, as shown in the video, below). The whole dive may be lasted for 15-20 minutes (sort of a bounce dive). One of the divers did not stop at 130 feet depth. He kept going to 150 feet on AL80. When DM noticed it, he reached out and pulled the diver up. Later on when they were back on the boat, the diver started to not feeling well, showing some signs of DCS. The crew sent him to decompression chamber.

Back
Top Bottom