Toughest mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
OTF

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who makes the toughest mask with the most robust buckles? Seems like everything in the dive shop has thin plastic buckles just waiting to fail. Any recommendations?

Hollis M1

Well there's this one that left me with only some teeny weeny bleeding from the face

But I've never lost a buckle

388.JPG

Maybe if you find a retailer other than those that sell masks and bcs' with failing buckles and
crumbling pulled out shoulder dumps

or you could buy half a dozen of these, and future proof yourself for vision correcting lenses

Sixteen bucks and free postage hhhhhhhh I need to take a breath!!!

1717801456385.png

Hey!

How about this flash set up

Thirtysix bucks ALOOMINUM frame and free postage wow!!!

1717801735199.png

I'd have to go with a full face mask, specifically an AGA, OTS or Poseidon Atmosphere, with the skull-encompassing "spider straps" and heavy-duty buckles which, though the visors are polymer in nature and not even tempered glass, have faced serious glancing impacts from stage tank valves on lines in nasty currents; accidental assaults from other divers with the butt of a speargun or even ungainly strobe arms; and even during a sketchy night dive years ago in SE Asia, having encountered a small school of filefish (Tylosurus), homing in on artificial lights, where we were stuck on a couple of occasions, and even managed to damage a domed camera housing for our troubles.

It was only later that I had heard about how dangerous they can be, from Venomous and Poisonous Marine Animals: A Medical and Biological Handbook, an Australian publication, as if that comes as any surprise, straight from the country that will kill you dead . . .

Yuck that torch carrying system is good for dcs too but he probably doesn't care

Yeah Ive got that book and this one Marine Animal Injuries to Man where I learnt
about hard gelatinous nodules, that developed over some months in my knuckle
after I planted myself firmly into sea urchins
Something for zky

99% of our population except Harry Butler and Steve Irwin don't see those things

Here you go chief

download (11).jpg

That looks like an extremely robust solution to me.

One of the things I have noticed over years of diving is that the plastic buckles of a mask are really vulnerable to abuse and breaking. I also noted that on most masks, the buckle is located on the edge of a rigid frame which makes the buckle very vulnerable to impact and breakage.

On the MAKO Mimimus mask, we do have a plastic buckle, but it is not attached to the frame. Instead, the buckle is attached to a tab of the silicone mask skirt itself. Should the mask be dropped or mishandled, the buckle is protected from direct impact because the silicone skirt simply folds in. This makes it nearly impossible to break, even with rough handling.

mmm-side-view_dtl[1].jpg

Minimus (aka Mini) Freedive Mask

Back
Top Bottom