Total of 12 dives and already a few lessons and one almost "near miss"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My takeaway from all of this...

Don’t try out new equipment in “big water” off a boat. Either try it out in a pool or a shallow shore dive.

That would really put a dent in boat diving if rental equipment was not provided, as it probably would be “new” to the renter.

My takeaway from all of this...

Don’t try out new equipment in “big water” off a boat. Either try it out in a pool or a shallow shore dive.
I always - more or less, at least - visit our club's regular training site for a shakedown dive if I've added to, changed or done maintenance on my gear. Also if it's been a while since the last time I was under water and I'm feeling a bit too dry behind the ears. It gives me a nice, fuzzy feeling.

I’ve found that putting the fin straps on your wrist can work too. That’s what I do because I’m neurotic about giving up my fins. I suggest putting both on one wrist, and your off-hand wrist. Also push them onto your forearm: where your watch would sit at least, so that your wrist can still work for you.

I usually do all of that at the bottom of the ladder, and then simply climb up the ladder from below the surface. Less surge that way, faster, no DM to argue with and I can simply make my way up the ladder cleanly in one shot.

I always - more or less, at least - visit our club's regular training site for a shakedown dive if I've added to, changed or done maintenance on my gear. Also if it's been a while since the last time I was under water and I'm feeling a bit too dry behind the ears. It gives me a nice, fuzzy feeling.

For me locally, it’s pool sessions in the winter (once a month) and the quarry from April through October for that. My new doubles will be in the pool 3 times over the winter and then at the quarry in April before I try them on a shallow Lake Michigan boat dive in May.

If you have to climb a ladder to get onto the boat, you usually have to remove your fins. Handing the fins to the crew is the common practice, though you could also throw it aboard (with the risk that it might fall into the water if you toss poorly).
With open-heel fins, you can put your hand through the (attached) strap and let the fins dangle from your wrist; both fins are still with you, one on each wrist, but your hands are free to climb the ladder. Detaching a strap and letting it stay loose is a recipe for losing the strap anyway.

Added: Oops. Post #14 already addresses this, but there is no need to put both fins on one wrist.

Added: Oops. Post #14 already addresses this, but there is no need to put both fins on one wrist.

Try reaching around somewhere (like up to the DM) with a fin on your wrist while clutching a ladder, especially clutching it tightly in surge. I didn’t start out with both fins on one hand... Most times it won’t matter, but when it does it really matters.

Try reaching around somewhere (like up to the DM) with a fin on your wrist while clutching a ladder, especially clutching it tightly in surge. I didn’t start out with both fins on one hand... Most times it won’t matter, but when it does it really matters.
Never had a bad experience with a fin on each wrist. Not sure why I would reach up to the DM if I'm climbing a ladder; can you explain further?

Never had a bad experience with a fin on each wrist. Not sure why I would reach up to the DM if I'm climbing a ladder; can you explain further?

Handing off a camera or catch bag or bottle, for example. Or needing to reach around and unsnag something that catches a ladder rung. Or untangle yourself from a pesky tag line. Or pick up something up off the surface that someone on the boat dropped. Or reaching to an awkwardly high handhold on a boat that doesn’t have a good place to grab. Or clamber over a transom above the ladder because you’re diving off a boat used primarily for fishing.

I’m not saying it’s a typical need. But I’ve found it very useful a time or two, it costs literally *nothing*, I’d rather develop consistent muscle memory, and by the time you realize you want the free arm it’s usually too late or hard to change.

Better question: why voluntarily encumber both hands when avoiding that seems to have so very few drawbacks of its own?

But dive and let dive. I’m only stating what I’ve found effective for me. Doesn’t have to apply to anyone else. Do what you want with the suggestion: it’s certainly worth what you paid for it!

Heck, maybe I’m clumsy and uncoordinated and need the help.

Did you inflate and deflate your BCD as part of your predive check on that near miss dive? I like to use each of my dump valves for part of the deflating to practice reaching for each one. Might have made the difference there. I share your frustration with the DMs who push you to trust them instead of your training but then let you down.
Yep. Each dump should be checked before splash. The last thing I do after reg/SPG check before stepping off is quickly reach back and see if BCD has the air I previously put in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom