Torn between Fifi and Provo Turtle Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a group doing the T & C Aggressor in May, but about 10 of us are arriving several days earlier and want to do some land based diving.

Caicos Adventures and Provo Turtle Divers have both come highly recommended by people I trust and respect, hence the dilemma.

I'm looking for some additional feedback from people who have personally dove with both or one of these operators to help sway me towards one or the other.

A little about our group:
  • All advanced divers ( I can say this because they all dive with my operation and I've seen them dive :)
  • Several photogs in the group
  • Slow, laid back diving style...don't rush us through the reef
  • Don't rush our bottom times or SI's
  • keeping our gear overnight is a definite advantage
  • we don't need babysitting, but we like a fun, outgoing, responsible crew who will respect us as seasoned divers

Thanks in advance! I never thought this was going to be such a hard decision...haha!

I can't speak for turtle... But dove with caicos adventures and they are top notch!

Very professional! They are a bit uptight about safety procedures and directives, but I find this to be a plus! And I'm sure they will give you some slack once they realise you guys are advanced. In our group, me and my girlfriend went our own way (without the DM) and they said it was fine, as long as we made darned sure to surface with at least 500 psi and made our 3 min stop. They also wanted everyone to have a computer. Basic safety issues that we do anyways... If being asked to respect this bothers you and your group, maybe phone em up and talk to them about it... But in general, once they saw we were competent, they were very laid back...

They also assembled all our gear for us, as well as transfered bottles between dives. It was a no-hassle dive day! The boat was clean and comfortable! There was a camera area reserved.

If I ever go back to Provo, I'm diving with them...

Hope this helps!

PTD is located almost next door to the Aggressor. Dave (the Managing partner) is a u/w photographer himself. Send him an e-mail or call him and see if you are comfortable with his operation. A group from DDN dove with him before they did the Aggressor last year and were treated right.

HTH,
Dave

CODMAN:
I can't speak for turtle... But dove with caicos adventures and they are top notch!

Very professional! They are a bit uptight about safety procedures and directives, but I find this to be a plus! And I'm sure they will give you some slack once they realise you guys are advanced. In our group, me and my girlfriend went our own way (without the DM) and they said it was fine, as long as we made darned sure to surface with at least 500 psi and made our 3 min stop. They also wanted everyone to have a computer. Basic safety issues that we do anyways... If being asked to respect this bothers you and your group, maybe phone em up and talk to them about it... But in general, once they saw we were competent, they were very laid back...

They also assembled all our gear for us, as well as transfered bottles between dives. It was a no-hassle dive day! The boat was clean and comfortable! There was a camera area reserved.

If I ever go back to Provo, I'm diving with them...

Hope this helps!

Respecting boat and safety protocol is not an issue. We're not arrogant cowboy divers, we just don't want to be herded around and have our bottom times dictated.

If you're arriving several days before your Aggressor trip, why not check them both out and let us know what you think?? :D

Tavi:
If you're arriving several days before your Aggressor trip, why not check them both out and let us know what you think?? :D

Well, that was a thought...but we actually only have two days to dive before the Aggressor trip...and the group isn't real keen on having to haul the gear back to the hotel each night, so staying with one of the other for the two days is what they want to do.

There are four that will be arriving earlier...so maybe they will dive with one op before we get tehre, and then we'll all dive together the last two days with the other op.

Tough choice as both seem to be great operators, each having their own advantages for us :)

One of these days, I might actually get around to posting my trip report from our November trip. (Hi Christi! We'll get back down to see you one of these days!) We dove 6 days with Dive Provo and were treated very well....yes, I know..not in your original choices, but worth a look. They rinsed and stowed our gear overnight, found us lots of cool things to see, and fed us well on the surface intervals. They were also very good about letting us dive our own profiles with the caveat that if anyone came up beeping, they wouldn't be allowed to dive the second tank.

There's also a pizza shop upstairs from the dive shop where you can get great pizza (obviously) smoothies and Cuban pulled pork sandwiches.

Giggi:
One of these days, I might actually get around to posting my trip report from our November trip. (Hi Christi! We'll get back down to see you one of these days!) We dove 6 days with Dive Provo and were treated very well....yes, I know..not in your original choices, but worth a look. They rinsed and stowed our gear overnight, found us lots of cool things to see, and fed us well on the surface intervals. They were also very good about letting us dive our own profiles with the caveat that if anyone came up beeping, they wouldn't be allowed to dive the second tank.

There's also a pizza shop upstairs from the dive shop where you can get great pizza (obviously) smoothies and Cuban pulled pork sandwiches.

Thanks Giggi! Actually I ruled them off the list almost immediately, and I even have three free days with them.

Everything I've read about them screams cattle boat, dictated bottom times, and dive sites, no diver freedom whatsoever...everything we are trying to avoid. The e-mail correspondence with them confirmed that.

I'm not considering any ops other than the two I mentioned.

I do appreciate your input though :)

I dove with CA two years ago and I have to say it is an excellent operation. Furthermore, I had the good fortune of being able to dive with Fifi one on one and although I have been sworn to secrecy (to Fifi), I'll just say that he took me further in my diving than anyone else has (apologies for the ambiguity). I have never seen anyone more involved and genuinely concerned about whether or not you are enjoying your dive experience. Believe me when I tell you I am a straight shooter and I call it as I see it. CA is a very well run dive operation. While I haven't dived with PTD, I certainly can recommend Fifi's operation.

Christi,
Having dove with you, Fifi and Provo Turtle Divers I would think that you would enjoy Fifi the most.
As I recall it is a bit easier to get to the best dive locations with where Fifi is located.

They were fun, safe and knowledgeable.

I appreciated your fun, safe and knowledgeable operation in Coz.

Go with Fifi you will not be dissappointed in anyway.

Best wishes and have an awesome trip.

Bonaire in less than 60 days for us. Can't wait.

Happy New Year
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom