Topside in Myrtle Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is there to do in Myrtle Beach other than tourist things? Anyone know of any nature trails/hiking? kayaking? karaoke bars? Or things to see not too far away from there?

Thanks,

karaoke bars?

is there something you would like to share with us, Wendy? :wink:

Wendy:
What is there to do in Myrtle Beach other than tourist things? Anyone know of any nature trails/hiking? kayaking? karaoke bars? Or things to see not too far away from there?

Thanks,

Most of the things I know about are north of Myrtle Beach, but they all make for nice 1/2 or full day trips.

You could go diving - Coastal Scuba (www.coastalscuba.com) runs regular trips out of Little River, which is just north of Myrtle Beach.

Bird Island (http://dcm2.enr.state.nc.us/CAMAgram/Winter03/bird.htm) is reachable by boat or by walking from Sunset Beach, NC. It is the only undeveloped south facing barrier island between the NC/SC line and Wilmington.

There are a bunch of paddle trails in and around the intercoastal waterway (http://www.ncsu.edu/paddletrails/southerncoast/index.html). I know a few places that rent sit-on-top kayaks, but I don't know of any renting real kayaks. Maybe Express Water Sports (http://www.expresswatersports.com/) can help.

There is an aquarium at one of the North Myrtle Beach shopping places (Barefoot Landing I think), but don't expect to see local wildlife. It's a private commercial venture.

Myrtle Beach State Park is nearby, but I've never visited.

In the more touristy but not quite mini-golf category, there are companies in and around Murrels Inlet and Little River Inlet that offer eco-tours. The hurricane fleet is one of them (http://hurricanefleet.com/ecotours.html). I have heard that the shrimping tour is pretty neat (http://hurricanefleet.com/shrimping.html)

Ask away if you have any more questions.

Wendy:
What is there to do in Myrtle Beach other than tourist things?

Why golf of course .... the next best thing to scuba in this world. :wink: Something like 120 courses and counting in the Myrtle beach region. No better place to swat that dimpled pill IMO.

When in town we spend most of our time golfing or visiting certain types of entertainment facilities so i'm not sure what is available for non-touristy stuff. I know they have shows/theatres there now if your into that sort of thing.

Myrtle is a pretty touristy place if your not into sunning or golf.

Personally, I like to eat and relax on the beach if I am not going diving or riding the rides. There's nothing like kickin' some guy's butt on the race tracks there. Heehee.

There is a minature wildlife zoo minutes from MB. R

Wendy:

Thanks,

Wendy:
I love my home state of SC, but Myrtle Beach has changed to another place altogether. Crowded, concrete, condos, well, you know. I have few Carolina friends that go there now.

If you are not stuck on Myrtle Beach, head to the lower part of the state. Anywhere from Charleston down, but especially Charleston. LOTS of nature, lots of kayaking, islands, diving, history, and on and on. You will fall in love with Charleston. Also try Beaufort.

If you have to stay in the Mrytle area, hit the water, or maybe head north to the NC coast for daytrips. Or maybe just south of Myrtle down to the Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island, Georgetown areas. It is starting to get good by then.

Have a great time here. You may not want to leave!

H2Andy:
karaoke bars?

is there something you would like to share with us, Wendy? :wink:

Ok my secret is out, I am a closet karaoke groopie. I don't sing, trust me I don't,.

I wasn't asking these questions for me. I have a good friend that just moved there and he doesn't know what all there is to do and he works so much he hasn't gotten to get out and explore, so I was just going some of the research for him.

I agree with backinthewater, go south young girl. Heehee. They just opened a brand new paddle sports store next door to my office. There is a Kayak Farm that holds tours within minutes of me as we speak. There are basin tours and lots of things to see. Lots of history. And, me. We could handout and play together. Interested in coming to see me??? My door is open. R

PS and we'll find you a place to KaraoKKKKKeeee :dazzler1:.

Raven, or any other SC natives; I am thinking about going to Myrtle to do my advanced OW at the end of July, with a Captain Tuck, any info on this guys operation or the diving I might encounter In Myrtle Beach? I am coming from Ohio....so kinda want to know if the 12 hour drive is worth it? I have also been limited to freshwater diving up to this point, so the OCEAN is calling me, should I respond and make the trek? any info would be appreciated! thanks in advance

Captian Tuck runs www.dolhpindivecharter.com You can find more about his operation by searching for dolphin dive charter, but the short story is that he has a great boat and a great crew. You should have a blast.

As far as the diving goes, the boat rides are longer than in most popular dive destinations and the seas can be a little rougher (although summer has the nicest weather). The diving can be crap (not often in the summer) or it can be spectacular. There are a number of sites (like the Sherman) that are good for an intro to ocean diving.

Go - enjoy - it will be worth the trip.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom