Top 5 movies for scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some you might want to check out:

> City Beneath The Sea
> The Underwater City
> Beneath The 12-Mile Reef
> Raiders From Beneath The Sea ( Scuba Diving Bank robbers! - 1958 )
> Around The World Under The Sea ( Lloyd Bridges David McCallum )
> The Dive ( factual technologically, it's a story of deep diving in the N. Sea )
> Mysterious Island ( check out the state-of-the-art deepsea units shaped like giant sea shells on the Nautilis diver's backs! )

And...The Abyss - a buddy / co-worker of mine was the technical director for the u/w scenes for the movie. He was also charged with creating dive helmets that allowed a clear view of the actor's faces ( they complained that standard commercial diving helmets were too "face-restrictive" ). Finally, if you watch the scene where Bud & his ex are trapped in the flooding submersible, where she has to drown if she is to survive,, you'll notice a sticker on the bulkhead that reads "Can Dive Services" - this "submersible" scene was actually filmed in an old Can-Dive double-lock deck chamber, one that I had done many a SurDO2 in after diving in cold Arctic waters.

That's as close to Hollywood as I'll ever get!

Regards,
DSD

Men of Honor :)) one night stands might be over in the morning, but Syphilis lasts a lifetime )
Sanctum
Into the Blue
Open Water (minus those unnecessary nudity)
Finding Nemo

Just need to add one to the growing list...

After the sunset Pierce Brosnon

1. The Silent World - J.Y. Cousteau's first Oscar winner - Best Documentary 1957. Plus it was Directed by Louis Malle.
2. World without Sun - JYC's second Oscar winner - Best Documentary 1965.
3. The Deep
4. The Creature from the Black Lagoon (just for the wonderful equipment - US Divers Broxton Avenue Aqua-Lungs).
5. Underwater Impressions by Leni Riefenstahl - Yes I know she was one of Hitler's greatest propagandists, but she was a very accomplished scuba diver in her later years. And by "later" she was 100 years old when she directed this great film.

Last edited:
1. Everything by Cousteau
2. Into The Blue
3. Into The Blue 2 - The reef (not as good as the first Into The Blue, but still a hot girl and some nice diving)
4. The Abyss
5. Sanctuary
Currently trying to get a hold of The Deep

Thunderball! Such a classic simply cannot be forgotten.

Last edited:
> City Beneath The Sea
> The Underwater City
> Beneath The 12-Mile Reef
> Raiders From Beneath The Sea ( Scuba Diving Bank robbers! - 1958 )
> Around The World Under The Sea ( Lloyd Bridges David McCallum )
> The Dive ( factual technologically, it's a story of deep diving in the N. Sea )
> Mysterious Island ( check out the state-of-the-art deepsea units shaped like giant sea shells on the Nautilis diver's backs! )

And...The Abyss
Interesting list, and background on The Abyss. I actually found some clips from the Dive (Dykket) on YouTube and found it to be compelling.

One chuckle here - I was not familiar with a couple of these so I looked them up on IMDb. The reviewer comments for 'Raiders from Beneath the Sea' caused me to LOL: 'In 50+ years of movie going this is one of my finalists for WORST film ever. Watching the bandits stroll up the street in full scuba gear -with fins-so as to escape notice is a high point. This is a great candidate for a film to watch without sound and provide your own dialog. Don't worry you'll improve on the original.'

Simply based on that review I need to find a way to watch this film!

deep0038.jpg

Wow, that's terrible. Trim's waaaaay off, and she's kneeling in the sand... :)

she is also way over weighted. She is kneeling on the bottom while her buoyancy compensators are fully inflated :)

Boy on a Dolphin (1957)...
A delightful film that no one remembers.. my childhood cowboy movies star Alan Ladd and beautiful Italian actress Sophia Loren. Film is going through Hydra Island in Greece.Spong divers found treasure,diving, love, drama..
Regulators are DA Aqua Master..triple tanks.. an American film and of course the equipment Aqua Lung...
I would prefer Franch Mistral if was.. Dr. Sam Miller will remember this film. Highly watch you..

Back
Top Bottom