Top 5 Likes / Dis-Likes on Your Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto d6

• Very small so dosen't snag on anything. I find i don't even feel like im wearing a computer most of the time its that light and streamlined.
  • Can view a graph of your dive on the computer its self.
  • Fairly easy to operate
  • Buttons are very nice to use
  • no stop Times given by the computer match up with the tables I use for most depths on a square profile which is quite nice.

Dislikes:
  • Dive time is tucked away in the bottom corner which can be hard to see in low vis.
  • You have to hold down a button for a few seconds to activate the back light which makes it kinda useless since it makes it quicker just to shine my torch on it.
  • Compass seems to be effectively useless since you have to hold the button down to view it which makes it quicker to just look at my analog compass and also compass seems to stick if the watch isnt held perfectly flat and lag on the compass again makes it slow enough that its quicker to use the analog compass.
  • Metal buckle cant be expanded to make it fit over a drysuit or wetsuit
  • Cant adjust the rate of ascent or switch it off, i get kinda tired of hearing it constantly yelling at me when im ascending
  • Cant turn off stops, again get tired of it constantly yelling at me

Overall i find its a great computer since most of the stuff i dislike about it is either features that i really don't need and don't use and the stuff with it yelling at me ive gotten used to just ignoring it.

i'll play...

the predator

like -

display - wow! big and bright!
easy to use, intuitive to figure out
5 gases, all programmable from mix to trox to ox
user changeable gradient factors

eh -

it *really* wants you to do stops *at* the depth it says, not six inches above. below it deals with better.
if you have a gas programmed in, it assumes you have it on you and gives you time to surface based on that. (though it actually is tracking what you are breathing - a fine point, but one you need to understand.)
no 'safety stop' timer. yeah, not a huge deal, but a bit of a bummer.

the luna

like -

you can pick how much info you want displayed. you can't pick exactly *what*, like the x1, but you can pick from three pre-set amounts of info.
larry really likes the compass.
has a safety stop timer that you push a button & it counts down.

eh -

poor backlighting
repeated promises to be multi gas and trimix upgradeable and no delivery on those promises yet.
i don't think it's as easy to figure out as the predator

basically, i really like the predator in spite of some little flaws, and am lukewarm on the luna in spite of some nice touches.

I'll play too...

Shearwater Predator

Like:

1. The OLED dispay - very easy to read, can be set for fixed brightness settings or on auto.
2. 5 gasses and a user adjustable gradient factor model with a decent dive planner mode.
3. Very easy to use with a very intuitive and easy to use interface that allows all gasses to be set/edited on one screen
4. It allows the user full control, won't lock you out and you can reprogram gasses in the water on the fly if needed.
5. In opposition to what Marci says, I think it is very tolerant of doing stops deeper than the current ceiling. It also has some great deco options like displaying the gradient in the critical compartment, or my favorite for cave diving, the @5min option that lets you se remaining stop time after 5 minutes at your current depth. In a cave this is ideal as if lets you know immediately how efficient your deco may be if you can't ascent to the current stop depth.

Dislikes:
1. The strap system (I replaced mine with bungees).
2. If you enter a travel gas (for example 32% on a 200' trimix dive on 21/35) it expects you to switch to the gas on ascent as soon as the PPO2 for that gas reaches 1.6 when you may still e working prety hard on the dive. That item on the screen then turns red when perhaps amber might be more appropriate.
3. In a similar manner I'd prefer the option of selecting the PPO2 at which each gas should become active and/or the ability to select the depth of the first gas switch when the depth of the first stop is greater than the MOD of a particular gas.

Uwatec Luna

2. If you add the predictive multigas upgrade it has multi gas nitrox capability (and is rumored to someday have trmix capability predictive that will be available at no extra cost)
3. Great log and book mark functions
4. It has a gauge mode with a great stop timer.
5. Warranty support has been superb

Dislikes:

1. The trimix upgrade is still vaporware after well over 2 years, and I haver had to send mine in for the multi gas upgrade as it would not install locally. This has been the case with 2 of them so far.
2. I had one die after a small number of dives - warranty support was great, but neccesary
3. the gauge mode also disables the book mark functions when there is no reason for it to do so.
4. the model is a little too haldaney for me in that it trends toward a bend and treat longer shallow stop profile.
5. the back lighting is great by back light standards (true back lighting not edge lighting) but it pales in comparison to the OLED display on the Predator.

Suunto Vyper2

-enough buttons to get the job done
-switches gasses
-affordable
-can turn off those obnoxious alarms
-has gauge mode

Dislikes:
-only holds 2 gasses for switch
-too conservative
-screen can be hard to read

Uwatec Galileo Sol

Like:
1. 6 levels of conservatism settings for microbubbles
2. Easy to read / switch screen with 3 layout choices
3. Battery life and is user-changeable
4. Ease of navigation through the menus
5. Tracks 3 tanks and a buddy's, easy to swap between
6. Safety stop timer & is configurable
7. Calculates NDL & deco according to breathing rate

Don't Like:

1. Bhitches a lot (audio settings) which are totally user configurable
2. Trimix upgrade is vaporware
3. Cost of transmitters for a PD simple design.
4. Safety stop timer won't activate unless you're around 20fsw

Uwatec SmartTEC

1. 6 levels of conservatism settings for microbubbles
2. Easy to read / follow
3. Battery life
4. Tracks 3 tanks, easy to swap between
5. Safety stop timer
6. Calculates NDL & deco according to breathing rate

Don't Like:

1. Bhitches a lot (audio settings) which are totally user configurable
2. Cost of transmitters for a PD simple design.
3. Cost of sending it in for battery replacement.
4. Safety stop timer won't activate unless you're around 20fsw

Liquivision X1

1. The display. It rocks. 'Nuff said. Readable without backlighting or illuminating, and bright enough to use as a backup light on a cave exit. I know.

2. Very customizable -- I can set it up to make the information I want readily accessible.

3. The display prioritized the information I need, even when I allow the decompression software to run. Depth and time are what I want to see -- I'm quite happy to have to peer to read anything else.

4. The unit is small, fits on my arm, and is easy to get through a harness.

5. It's darned near bombproof. I have seen someone throw one on concrete; I myself have dropped mine on asphalt.

6. The battery is rechargeable, so I don't have to check it before a dive trip to see if I need to go in to the dive shop and have the battery changed.

7. The tap interface is intuitive, and I don't have to remember which button to hold and for how long, to access the functions I want. Even underwater, where I tend to be stupid.

8. No buttons means nothing that leaks.

9. It downloads into my computer, with profiles. (And the dive profile is accessible as a graphic on the unit itself, which means I can show it to people at the site. That's pretty cool.)

10. There's a DSS boot for it. That's a deal-breaker on a computer, for me.

Things I don't like:

1. It's rechargeable, which means if I don't remember to put it on the charger, I can end up with a dead computer at the dive site.

2. The tap interface can be temperamental, and my dive buddies, who don't like me running the decompression software anyway, REALLY don't like watching me sit at the gas switch depth and bang on the thing to get it to gas switch.

3. The logging software is pretty primitive. For an expensive device with expensive software, I would expect better.

I'd agree totally on these, plus add a new dislike:

1. The two companies involved in the product.

What you're buying when you buy a Liquivision is a general purpose computer with no software. You license the software separately from a different company and load it into the computer yourself. The most popular (and best) software, and the only choice if you want to run VPM/B, is MultiDeco-X1 from Ross Hemingway/HSS Software. The license agreement says that the software is a license which permits me to "(3)(a) use the program on a single dive computer, and (3)(b) copy the program into ANY compatible dive computer for your own use of the program on the single compatible dive computer. This program, however, may include mechanisms to limit or inhibit copying OTHERWISE. (Emphasis mine)". When you purchase the software license, the email they send you with the key says "If you should need to replace your dive computer, a revised key is available free of charge". I subsequently lost my Liquivision "at sea" and when I asked Ross for a new software key for the new Liquivision unit that I purchased, Ross responded that "We don't normally give free replacements for reasons of miss-fortune (sic).". In later correspondence, he claimed that the license term permitted me to run the installer software on a different PC in the event that I lost my PC and needed to reinstall the software on the same computer (which makes no sense given the language). Despite numerous emails between us, he has been steadfast in both his refusal to issue me a replacement key and his refusal to explain how this license agreement language could have means something other than that the customer has a right to transfer the software license if they "should need to replace your dive computer". I subsequently had to purchase a replacement copy of the software to get a new key.

Oh, and the other company...

My wife's Liquivision's "beeper" doesn't beep. Well it does, but you have to put the unit up against your ear to hear it (extremely faint). For that matter, since she didn't enable any alarms, she didn't even know that it was supposed to beep (it has been this way since new, about six months ago) until she heard my new unit doing it loud and clear. No problem, I think, I've heard excellent things about Liquivision's support of their product (and hopefully, Ross won't make me buy a new license a second time if they replace the unit). I emailed Liquivision and received back email from Emilie Hiob that "every unit is unique, some have louder buzzers than others" and in subsequent email they declined to fix the problem because "the buzz is not a function that is covered by the warranty". Sure enough, if you read their warranty, there are a lot of exclusions, including the buzzer.

If you buy one of these computers, be sure you read the software license from HSS Software ahead of time (actually, on the second thought, don't bother, since THEY won't honor it) and the warranty from Liquivision (to be sure you will be happy with a computer where the parts which aren't under warranty aren't functioning).

Great computer; at least the one of the two that we have that fully works. I will never buy another product from either of these companies again.

Kenneth Adelman

larry, i said it isn't tolerant of stopping *above* the ceiling, by even 6 inches. it *is* tolerant of stopping lower. i tried to stop on a comfy rock in cow, though, and it had a fit because i was evidently at 19ft 6in, though the display still said 20ft.

Mares Nemo Air

2) Information layout that seems very intuitive to me. I never have to puzzle out what it's trying to tell me, or search for what I need to know.
3) Battery is simple for the user to replace, cheap, and readily available
4) Can upload all the data (including profile) into a full-featured PC dive log application
5) It does everything a rec diver could ask for

Dislikes:
1) Navigating to subscreens can be confusing, especially the log screens.
2) Displaying the air pressure when not in dive mode seems completely counter-intuitive to every dive buddy I've had.
3) The USB link hardware is too expensive and the PC software is buggy.
4) It's pretty big (because of that large, easy to read screen).
5) Alarm settings have very coarse steps and limited ranges.
6) Ascent rate readout updates too slowly to be useful. I can go from "safe" to "whoa!" in one tick.

Genesis Resource: My first computer, and only been diving with it twice. So, the opinion may change, in time.

Nitrox capable (though I don't dive mixes)
Seems user friendly for current dives (so far)
User replaceable battery
Price

Dislikes: Owner's manual sucks
The no-deco limit icons are a little small (or I'm going blind)
Stores like 150 dives, and you CANNOT clear old dives
Owner's manual sucks

***Mike Cotrone (OP): This is a great thread - Thanks!!! ******

We have 2 Suunto Cobras (2008 models - 2+ years old) with compasses.

Overall, I would give this computer a grade of A-

Good, readable display with all needed info (depth, dive time, tank pressure, NDL time remaining).
Nitrox capability.
Great analog compass.
Batteries have lasted 2+ years and are still going strong.
Easily replaceable scratch guard.
Conservative RGBM algorithm.
Good LDS dealer support system.
Pretty rugged construction.
Absolutely NO problems.

Dislikes:

Scratch guard fogs on the surface - makes it hard to read display.
Not very intuitive menu design structure.
Really stiff buttons.
Incomprehensible inch-thick owners manual.
Clunky download cable connector.
You have to download the last 30 dives, even if you just want the last one or two (takes too long).
Cannot delete dives off dive computer.
PC software is adequate but lacks coolness - could be a lot better.
Very Expensive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom