Top 10 Bonaire dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been to Bonaire around 14 times in the past 26 years. Most all sites are good. Some have a more dificult shore entry than others. My tp 10 are:
1, Rappell
2. Karpata
3. Thousand Steps
4. Tolo "Ole Blue" Go to the left when facing the ocean
5.Pink Beach
6. Alice-in-Wonderland: Go toward Angel City
7. Angel City; Go toward Alice-in-Wonderland
8.Buddy`s Reef
9.Front Porch (this one because it was my first ever dive trip dive and there`s a cool little tug @ 80 ft)
10.Pretty much any Klein Bonaire dive with just a couple exceptions.

For me, Hilma was a total yawn, but that's just me. My two favorite dives are the fuel pier (unmarked) by the airport (enter on the north side and use the columns for support while you put your fins on) swimming either north or south and a night dive with the tarpon at Cliff.

I also always dive Tolo (north) and the southern sites from Red Beryl north to Angel CIty.
I’ve seen the pier but never dove there. What do you like about it?

Bonaire is a place where you can do an amazing Ostracod dive at night. When we were there, our second night the moon set before sunset. You need total darkness. I would do this with a guide, we used Paul with Bon Scuba. Most places will only take you out 5-6 nights after the full moon as they seem to believe Ostracod activity is driven by the lunar cycle. It's not, all you need is total darkness.

Moon Phases 2019 – Lunar Calendar for Kralendijk, Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands

Go there and see when the moon set times are for your trip. If you're there 5-6 days after a full moon most any shop will take you.

It's an amazing experience. We got in the water about 10 minutes before twilight ended and swam out to the reef. We dropped down to about 35 ft and turned around to look at the reef. Then you turn all your lights off and you're in complete darkness. After a minute or two you can tell another diver is near you. The reef lights up with thousands of Ostracods glowing blue and sparkling. You can't photograph them, it won't work. Sometimes you see them right in front of your face. They are difficult to describe. I've done well over a thousand dives and seen some incredible stuff, but this was one which just wowed me, and one I'll never forget.

Oh, and Small Wall for a night dive was pretty awesome as well. There's a big 7 ft moray there which was just swimming around. The Tarpon hunt by your night light there as well. Be aware that some locals don't like you doing that as they feel it is changing their behavior.

Have fun. It's an awesome place. We just booked our second trip back for 15 days in June.

Jason

If you're there on the 26th that night looks good for Ostracods. Most places won't take you as that's not 5-6 days after a full moon. Get in touch with Paul owner of Bon Scuba. He will take you if you want to go.

About bon scuba

Jason

I can't make a list because it is all so so good. Enjoy your trip @decompression.

Forgot about Alice in Wonderland and Rappel.

I’ve seen the pier but never dove there. What do you like about it?
It's just a good shallow dive.

Most of the pilings are coatedwith stuff. Saw a few Eagle Rays there once.

As mentioned, easy entry although we waded in a little south of the parking area (north of the pier)

Also you can photograph stuff like this:

salt-pier-1-xl.jpg

Salt pier is great for newer divers. Easy to navigate, great fish life, and on the shallows coming back I have always (6 dives) seen turtles.

I don't particularly like it because for some reason I have gotten dumped hard getting out every time I have dove there.

But my wife and daughter love it.

Its an easy out based on the folks I see getting in and out. That place has it out for me personally.

+2 on the Lake, that is my favorite dive and the only place I have ever been checked by Stinapa for my tag. (had it)

I like candy land as well. It should..(or shouldn’t) be on the list :)

‘I’ll have to do an ostracod dive again at some point. I did one in aug and wasn’t overly wowed by it.. it was decent, but didn’t blow my mind... a couple in the group said it changed their lives the rest were lukewarm.

‘fun to do something different though..

Back
Top Bottom