Tool Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an aside, I have seen scuba shops "torquing" tank valves using a big wrench and a hammer. I was horrified. But a woman I know that used to own a scuba shop says they do it this way all the time. This is a perfect application for a crow's foot and a big torque wrench in my opinion.

android:
As an aside, I have seen scuba shops "torquing" tank valves using a big wrench and a hammer. I was horrified. But a woman I know that used to own a scuba shop says they do it this way all the time. This is a perfect application for a crow's foot and a big torque wrench in my opinion.

Must have had a "calibrated wrist"

Snap-On (and others I'd guess) sell in their industrial catalogs, not the standard automotive catalogs, torque wrenchs that terminate with an open end wrench. These open end wrenchs can be interchanged for size.

These are intended for assembly line type apps, and aren't cheap, but they would be ideal for the purposes above.

Regards,

Tobin

There are specialty scuba tools designed to be used with a torque wrench that result in a substantial offset.

As long as the distances are known, figuring the torque setting required for a crows foot or specialty tool (or Awap's wrench with a socket over the handle) is not a major problem.

The the formula is S = T[A/(A+B)]

where:

S = the torque setting you need to set on your wrench
T = the torque specifed for the bolt
A = the distance from the center of the handgrip to the center of the drive on the torque wrench
B = the distance from the center of the drive on the torque wrench to the center of the bolt being torqued.

Having a table available makes it a no brainer. But any table would be specific to a particular wrench and crows foot or specialty tool combination. Change one or the other and the table is no longer valid.

With Awap's socket fitted over a wrench idea, you would have to keep the socket location on the wrench consistent so that the distance "B" used in the forumla was correct.

DA Aquamaster:
There are specialty scuba tools designed to be used with a torque wrench that result in a substantial offset. As long as the distances are known, figuring the torque setting required is not a large problem.

The the formula is S = T[A/(A+B)]

where:

S = the torque setting you need to set on your wrench
T = the torque specifed for the bolt
A = the distance from the center of the handgrip to the center of the drive on the torque wrench
B = the distance from the center of the drive on the torque wrench to the center of the bolt being torqued.

Having a table available makes it a no brainer. But any table would be specific to a particular wrench and crows foot or specialty tool combination. Change one or the other and the table is no longer valid

No arguement here. Just nice to have the "right" tool. I'm a tool junky, always looking for a reason for one or two more.:D

Tobin

I'm a tool junky as well, but unfortunately the spousal unit is not. The Matco and Snap On guys are not welcome at our house and Peterbuilt ships everything to my office.

I've got my spouse brainwashed.

The logic goes something like this: Look, it costs $200 to get this fixed, but it only cost $100 for the tool to fix it ourselves. And we can fix it again the next time it breaks for free.

Gets her every time.

How about a couple homemade yoke nut sockets. One on left is 3/8 in drive & one on right is 1/4 in drive for those older regs. A dremel tool & a little time is all it takes.

DA Aquamaster:
I'm a tool junky as well, but unfortunately the spousal unit is not. The Matco and Snap On guys are not welcome at our house and Peterbuilt ships everything to my office.

You, too? I am having to ship my $50 Harlow book elsewhere, to avoid spousal sticker shock.

android:
I've got my spouse brainwashed.

The logic goes something like this: Look, it costs $200 to get this fixed, but it only cost $100 for the tool to fix it ourselves. And we can fix it again the next time it breaks for free.

Gets her every time.

I tried that one. I just get stuck in a wait cycle.

Creed:
You, too? I am having to ship my $50 Harlow book elsewhere, to avoid spousal sticker shock.

One of the bennies of working as a tech and occasional commercial diver is I just have some of the money put on account. I also get things at cost, so it makes it a little harder for her to get upset at the new scuba stuff that shows up and the nifty tools are now both more justifyable as "work" related and deductable expenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom