Too Warm for a Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd probably prefer a wetsuit in that temperature, but you can totally wear a drysuit. If you have a shell drysuit, just wear street clothes underneath or a thinner undergarment. I've had a buddy who took his White's Fusion drysuit to the tropics and he was fine.

In the mid 70's, I use a set of Lands End polarfleece sweats under my dry suit. When it gets above 80, I dive with a Diving Concepts base layer.

Good god. When it's in the 80s I'm wearing 1mm sleeveless shorty.

Diving a drysuit in warm water is a blissful experience.

I dove my trilam in North Carolina last month (78ish F) with just shorts and a tank top underneath. It was so pleasant that now I'm considering taking it (instead of my typical 3mm) to our annual Thanksgiving Curacao trip!

I dove in 72* water in the St. Lawerence. I ended up using my 5mm jacket for all but 1 dive. I also wore 3mm gloves for protection from the zebras. I was only chilly for the first 30 seconds as my body got use to the water.

I did dive using my drysuit once, just to get a little more experience on it. I noticed I used about 10-15% more air when I used my drysuit compared to my wetsuit. Maybe a combination of drag and still getting use to it. I did a 93ft max depth dive on it. I would have dove on it a few more times, though it started to get warmer so I didn't want to get too hot.

In all it seems like when the water is in the low 70's you can dive dry, though it was just as easy to put on my 5mm jacket.

I am a drysuit newbie here, but do you have to worry about the liner of a Whites or shell type suit pinching you skin if you in shorts and tank tops? I am wondering the same thing wear in the record high water temps we are seeing in the midwest.
Thanks

No, Ive never had my suit pinch me.

When I was diving in swim trunks and a polister t-shirt I had no issues.

This weekend I will be diving in the St. Lawerence where there is apparently no thermocline. I have a 5mm Jacket and a 7mm FJ wetsuit as well a a dry suit. I am wonder if 70's are to warm for a dry suit. If it isn't what should I wear under it? I dove in a pool and was a little warm until I got into the pool, to bad I forgot what I wore. I am thinking of wearing a wick layer with a fleece PJ's and top as a core. I have only done my cert courses with a dry suit and would like to get more experience with it.

Thanks in advance,

Hostage

I have never dived in water that was too warm for a drysuit, including Cayman Islands, Bonaire, Curacao, Turks & Caicos, Hawaii, Florida, Truk Lagoon, The Red Sea, etc, etc, etc.

RJP.jpg

WarmDry.jpg

GoodViz2.jpg

Sting_RAY_City.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom